Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 340/370 owners: Happy with 3rd pickup?
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:44 am 

The reason I ask is I was planning on getting a 360 but was wondering if I would like a 370 instead. I do use overdrive sometimes but usually I get a clean sound via a Fender Vibro-King, Vibrolux, or '65 Twin. I play equal amounts of lead and rhythm. Any "buyer's remorse" with the third pickup?

Post subject: Re: 340/370 owners: Happy with 3rd pickup?
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:25 am 

I didn't like mine too much, though now I can't remember why. In hindsight, I should have wired it to the 5th knob.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:46 am 

About 3 years ago I sold my MG360/12 to buy a MG370/12 and have never regretted it. Mr. Hall is correct in stating a few years ago that the middle pickup can hang up the pick; but, once I got used to the additional pickup, I changed my style slightly and never have a problem. I also swapped out the 6 saddle for the 12 saddle. It's probably just mental, but I'm glad I did it. Also, I've tried 2 other brands of strings but always come back to the Rickenbacker brand. Didn't care for the Pee's at all - to me they sounded dull and were difficult to finger for chords. IMO, if you can swing the money for the 370/12, do it; you'll always question yourself otherwise!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:41 am 

No doubt, it's probably just the way my auditory sensibilities are wired but I swear I can hear more honk in the mids on my 370/6 Burgundyglo. I don't hear it on the 360/6's. It's all copacetic. No need to get my hearing checked. Best regards....Goofyfoot {:=)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:51 pm 

Quote:
if you can swing the money for the 370/12, do it; you'll always question yourself otherwise!

I question myself for selling my 370/12. Still looking for it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:04 pm 

OK, I get to post my mods again. This same discussion can include 320's and 325's. I personally do not care for the factory "stock" wiring of putting both the middle and neck pickups together on the "up" side of the selector switch, which results in all three pickups being on when the switch is in the middle. So I have done the following mod, which I recommend to everyone, as it retains the original function of all the knobs, but greatly increases the number of tonal variations available out of the guitar.

I took one of the new push-pull switch/pots and put it in the 5th knob position. The pot part is wired as the conventional 5th knob. But since the push-pull is a double pole/double throw switch, it serves two simultaneous functions. With the push-pull down, I have the guitar wired "vintage," in that one-half of the push-pull switch has the .0047 capacitor wired in line to the bridge pickup, and the other half of the push-pull sends only the neck pickup to the up position of the pickup selector switch, so you have "vintage" two-pickup configuration. The middle pickup is not used in this configuration, and the guitar has all the classic jangle sounds.

With the push-pull in the up position, the first half of the push-pull switch bypasses the inline cap to the bridge, giving a fuller, broader, more driving sound, and the other half of the push-pull switch sends only the middle pickup to the up position of the pickup selector switch. This gives a slightly brighter "rhythm" setting, and also gives a completely different "sweet" tone when the middle and bridge pickups are used together.

The advantage of wiring the push-pull as the 5th knob is that when you switch between configurations, you can immediately re-balance the pickup volumes, as the 5th knob was originally intended. It also retains a completely stock appearance, even with the push-pull pulled up, as the smaller knob is not as noticable.

And since this also gives an option of using each pickup by itself, and the bridge pickup without the cap, you have more options to fine tune your overdriven sound as well.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:36 pm 

iiipopes.....Believe I previously read a similar posting by you. The mod sounds logical and achieves efficacy. Did you perform it yourself? Hmmm, now you got me thinking about it. Thanks for sharing. Regards....Goofyfoot.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:37 pm 

I like the third pickup, but I dislike the way its wired. I don't like having the neck and mid pickups wired together as they are in the current system. When deciding between buying a 360/6 and a 370/6, I went for the more "pure" sound of the 360/6, where I can control each of the pickups individually. If the factory had offered an option of buying or retro-fitting a different manufacturer-produced wiring scheme into a 370, I would have bought the 370. It seems to me that offering new 370's with an internal wiring option, or of refitting older guitars with it at warranty repair facilities, could be a good source of extra income for the manufacturer. They could use the inducement of retaining the full manufacture's warranty to attract potential buyers for the factory-produced optional wiring scheme. This could be a beneficial low-cost/high-return area for the factory to explore. But, dealing with reality as it presently exists, the 360/6 was the better option for me.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:23 pm 

Barbarossa, Rickenbacker has just dropped the three-pickup models.

If somebody wants three pickups or a different wiring, it is really no problem to let a good luthier do the modification.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:10 pm 

I have both a 370/12 and a 370/6. I have no problems with pick interference on the middle pickup, but would agree that the fifth knob mod to make it a volume control for the middle p/u makes sense and it's one I'm considering having done.

On the pure collectability/value side of things, 370s have always been rarer birds, and will be even more so now that the 370/6 has been discontinued.

Board index » Just Guitars