Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: famous 4003 bassists
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:04 am 

Quote:
Quote:
other ric users are paul d'amour of TOOL, gilmour on early Pink Floyd, the dude from Wolfmother, and Cliff Burton from Metallica back when Metallica kicked A**!
I believe D'amour was only on the very first TOOL album. Also, I think you mean Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

D'amour was the bassist on "Opiate"(the first albumn) and "Undertow"-where he puts on a veritable clinic on how good the Ric growl can sound. But technically he played the C.S. 4001 reissue. But the 4003 does a great job of emulating the C.S.'s chrunchy mids when you engage the push/pull knob to accentuate the high's.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:15 am 

Lemmy From Motorhead (how could that not be mentioned) and Martin E. Ain from Celtic Frost (played one back in the early days)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:28 am 

Listen to the beginning of Highway Star by Deep Purple, a classic 70's ric sound. Also dont forget THE SMITHEREENS.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:40 am 

Quote:
Listen to the beginning of Highway Star by Deep Purple, a classic 70's ric sound. Also dont forget THE SMITHEREENS.

I'll never forget seeing my very first Rick bass on the cover of Deep Purple's Made in Japan back in the mid seventies. Roger Glover was definitly an influential Rick player. Highway Star is one of the best classic rock songs of all time!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm 

Quote:
and he played the Ric on some of those recordings, I am told. It seems Gilmour is a better bassist than Roger, not surprisingly.

Correct in all aspects!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:32 pm 

There are a couple of Wolfmother songs where their bassist uses a Rick and achieves a great Rick sound. I'm not sure if he plays a 4001 or 4003, I never looked that closely, but it's a good one to look up for research. I don't know the name of the song, because I'm not into them, but I'm sure you'll find it if you look on Youtube.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:17 am 

Along with Wolfmother and Muse from modern times, Jessie Keeler of Death From Above 1979 (R.I.P) played a Rick bass. Granted he used FX and less than conventional means to get his tone.
oh, RICK JAMES was a player.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:16 am 

Here are two more 4003 users that are not well known as well:

OUTKAST: Big Boi and Andre 3000 of the Grammy winnnig hip hop group OUTKAST use a jetglo 4003 on almost all of their recordings.

Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine and Audioslave fame used an 8 string 4003 while recording the Albumn "Evil Empire"

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:30 am 

Quote:
Quote:

I'll never forget seeing my very first Rick bass on the cover of Deep Purple's Made in Japan back in the mid seventies. Roger Glover was definitly an influential Rick player. Highway Star is one of the best classic rock songs of all time!

Here's what Roger Glover said about his basses in alt.music.deep-purple a while ago:
#1 Interview:

The Steinberger was favoured a few years back, since then I've had a love affair with TUNE (A Japanese company, now sadly wiped out by the earthquake), and I have a Tobias and a Pedulla which I'm currently investigating, but my favourite bass as I write is a Vigier (French). I've been unhappy with the sound of the Rick, and trundled it out on Smoke - more for the looks than the sound - but it now has a new nut and sounds a lot better. It's a great looking bass IMO.

Q: I saw a Cologne 93 video and you play on a Rickenbacker bass - it really cuts through. You used the Rickenbacker bass on the encore - why not use it in the set? It has a great bright deep bottom.
RG: The Rick is hard to play, sounds dodgy to me but recent work has improved it. who knows?
Q: What is your set up now? On the album? On the tour?
RG: I'm playing a Vigier, which looks really like the Rick, and the sound isn't far off either.
Q: Where are these basses from?
RG: They're French basses. I have 2 of them.

#2 Interview

Listening to you, and watching you play that Rickenbacker through that huge stack of Marshall's with Deep Purple in the late '60s was one of my influences - that thundering, loose strung Ricky bass 'clank' was a force to be reckoned with...

To me, it was always too distorted. It was a typical case of the grass being greener. I'd heard various American recordings on which Ricky basses were! used, loved the sound and thought I'd try that. But it was always 'clank, clank, distort, distort' - just too distorted really. I always had a
feeling that I wasn't underneath the band the way that a bass player should be, and that I was competing with Jon and Ritchie in the mid range, and generally muddying up the overall sound.

RRDieselBass your influential player Roger was one unhappy cookie.

Cheers

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:31 am 

Didn't Glover once rip out his Ric pickups and put in Jazz pickups? I've seen photos of him playing what looks like a mutant Ric ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Just Basses