Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Squire's Bass
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:57 am 

Although I've not had the pleasure of a chat with Geddy Lee as of yet, back in the day when the Rickenbacker was his primary bass the keyboard setup he used was quite the monster, a bit cumbersome by today's standards...I can see why he would say that. Nowadays with MIDI being old hat and sampling out the wazoo, there isn't much on stage for him to run into, other than Alex Lifeson..(LOL!!!)

There were some pics taken of him at his home studio during the making of his solo album 'My Favorite Headache', and the JG 4001 and his MG 4002 are shown in the background quite clearly.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:37 am 

I remember seeing the 4001 and the 4080 but I don't remember the 4002 in it. You're talking about the one where Geddy is at the mixer board holding his jazz bass right?

Cole

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:03 am 

John ... very interesting ... I'm glad Geddy has access to a 4003 ... the 72 jazz bass he plays is a nice instrument as was the steinberger, and the wal, but Geddy sounds better with the Ric ... I can see how a headless bass would come in handy when playing a lot of keys ... but it just doesn't have a Ric growl ...

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:20 am 

Quote:
I remember seeing the 4001 and the 4080 but I don't remember the 4002 in it. You're talking about the one where Geddy is at the mixer board holding his jazz bass right?

Cole

Cole, there were a couple pics taken, the one I'm thinking of has him sitting on a couch and the Rickenbacker basses are hanging on the wall behind him, along with his black Wal 4-string...and a guitar or two as well.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:20 pm 

I read an interview a few years back, when his solo album just came out, where he said he was interested in tracking down a 4000.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 pm 

OHH, I haven't seen that pic John. I'm going to Google it right now. Thanks

Cole

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:10 am 

Quote:
Cole, there were a couple pics taken, the one I'm thinking of has him sitting on a couch and the Rickenbacker basses are hanging on the wall behind him, along with his black Wal 4-string...and a guitar or two as well.

You can see the white 4080 in one of those shots too...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:31 am 

Quote:
Quote:
You can see the white 4080 in one of those shots too...
Anyone got a link for these pics??

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:11 pm 

Hello there guys,

Pete Greenwood here in England.My older brother saw YES at Manchester University in 1970 and I am pretty sure that it was at that gig that Chris Squire jumped up (as he used to do) and fell during a song,breaking his bass.
Thats probably the reason for the mapleglo 4001 on the YES Album inside cover.That mapleglo bass is also the bass used on the tv show that YES did over in Europe to promote Time and a Word when Steve Howe had just joined.I managed to record that show on vhs when it was shown in the early hours on Granada tv during the 90s.
I own 4001CS #H3 6407 and its a real beauty with a very thin neck profile compared to most 4001/4003 basses.
Colour-wise the yellow finish has stained in a few places over the years and it has even sunk into the grain near the bridge.
I dont intend to re-finish it though but a re-fret might be needed soon.
I bought this bass in January 1991 and it was the one displayed at the 1991 Frankfurt Music Fair.I wrote to Mr Hall about my Chris Squire bass a few years ago and he probably remembers the picture of DA24 that I restored and later sold (to my lasting regret).The Chris Squire is now being put to the ultimate test in my YES tribute band SEYES (say yes) and it sounds really fantastic.Its true what Mr Hall said about the sound of new strings.I use Rotosound Swing bass RS66LD strings and I actuall prefer the sound once they have "bedded in" but due to the fast plectrum wear and tear they get during a 2 hour show of YES music I have to use new strings every time.
I really enjoy reading all this stuff on the forum and I look forward to seeing the original Squire bass next month when Chris plays at the very same venue as the one above(now called The Academy 2 Manchester) with the SYN.There are some interesting Ricks and Rick stories on our website www.seyes.co.uk. Cheers for now..Pete Greenwood.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:45 pm 

Pete, good to see you over here man, I remember you from the Rickenbacker(now Rickresource)Forum a few years back..You have owned some marvelous Rickenbacker basses over the years for sure, stop by here(and over there) more often....glad you're out playing too, I'd love to hear the band...Cheers, John (leftybass)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Just Basses