Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Can it be polished?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm 

Hello all,
I have a 1999 4003 that has some buckle rash.
I'm wondering if it can be saved via polishing.
I've done lots of mechanical work on Rics in the past but haven't ventured into finishing (yet). Larger picture is attached.

Attachments:
IMG_2112.JPG [46.45 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Re: Can it be polished?
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am 

You can try it. Some recommend car polish however I use Taylor Guitars polish on all my guitars. Just remember the top lacquer is nitrocellulose It might be worth an email to Rickenbacker technical.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:02 am 

A friend of mine has just been on a guitar making course - electric solid - and the guy teaching him uses T-Cut to get rid of any scratches apparently so that may be worth a try.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:35 am 

andyenobs wrote:
You can try it. Some recommend car polish however I use Taylor Guitars polish on all my guitars. Just remember the top lacquer is nitrocellulose It might be worth an email to Rickenbacker technical.

RIC hasn't used nitrocellulose since the late 1950s. 1999 would be two part polyurethane conversion varnish...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:43 am 

Try Zymol, the original in the light blue bottle. I had a friend of mine give one of my other guitars some pick rash, and the Zymol did well to help hide the pick scratches.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 am 

Those scratches look deep. If they're down to the bare wood, you have no choice but to sand it out and re-spray the area. I believe there is someone now that sells conversion varnish in a spray can. Rickenbacker has not used nitrocellulose in many decades. But since nobody sees the back of a guitar while you're playing anyway, you could just leave it.

Now, if the scratches are not entirely through the finish, you could try buffing it out with some compound or glaze and then wax it. Most likely, you would still need to do several steps of light sanding, compounding, glazing, buffing, and waxing to bring it back to showroom condition, if that's what you're looking for or you're trying to sell the guitar. It's not hard to do and just takes time and elbow grease, but good results can be obtained this way without re-spraying. Paul Wilczynski (aka "jingle jangle") has described the process on this board in the past. You might want to PM him anyway, to get a better diagnosis.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:43 pm 

I have obviously been misinformed. I understood the reason Rickenbacker have got a backlog of orders is because they don't make as many as they used to because they use nitrocellulose lacquers in their finishings the quantity of which they have had to reduce because of legislation in California. I understand it was a case of reduce or move the factory to another state which they didn't want to do. May be John Hall could confirm what they use.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm 

Modern RIC instruments are finished with UV cured polyester, the change was done sometime in 2008. It saves time and meets the air quality legislation. If you search on this site you can find posts about the change...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 am 

Thanks CJJ for the information. So Rickenbacker just can't make them quickly enough to satisfy demand.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 pm 

andyenobs wrote:
Thanks CJJ for the information. So Rickenbacker just can't make them quickly enough to satisfy demand.

They are working on that. They have some CNC machining for doing basic shaping, but there's still a lot of hand work. Rickenbacker is also a VERY small company, only around 60 people...

Board index » Setup And Technical