Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: No jack plate
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 am 

I bought my 4001 30 years ago and it was in some disrepair. I was able to recondition it but when I bought it it had no jack plate. Any idea how to date it without the jack plate? Or at least come close to it's age? I don't think the pots are original either.

Post subject: 4001, No jack plate
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:23 pm 

You might try posting a few pictures .. and that might help some knowledgeable people identify key things, which might place it in certain sequence of years. Such as shape and length of headstock, or certain hardware utilized, or the shape of the pickguard.

Have you ever looked in the body cavity under the pickguard? Sometimes staff at the factory write things on the instrument itself, while it is in the manufacture and assembly phase....

Post subject: Re: No jack plate
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:16 am 

I'm in a similar situation. I've had my 4001 since the late '70s. Had it extensively modified (I know, what was I thinking? :roll: )
Anyway, after 3 bands, 5 moves, 2 kids, a divorce and nearly 40 years... I'd like to restore my bass to something that's at least not an embarrassment to my grand kids.
I can track down most parts, but the real issue is the original jack plate is long gone.
If I were to find something written in the cavity, could a jack plate be ordered with that info? If I find nothing written, can a blank jack plate be ordered?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 am 

Depends on the age of the bass, too. I don't know how long ago the factory started writing the intended serial number/date inside the control cavity with a marker. But I don't think you'll find those in instruments before the 4003 came along. You may see numbers like "4001E" which appear to make no sense as far as dating or serial number. These were likely factory notations to indicate batches or maybe maybe production sequences of some kind. You also may find names or initials of some of the folks who worked on the instrument.

If you offer up some photos, folks here or at RIC may be able to figure out a rough time period of manufacturer. Hardware is not always the best indicator of age as old machines may have replaced pickups, pots, tuners.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 pm 

I've torn down my bass and have uploaded some photos. It was purchased (lightly used) around 1979-80 and re-finished soon after that.
Looks like "Ron" maybe worked on it, and someone left a message in the bridge cavity, "Yes, it did it twice..."
I have (or can get from RIC) all replacement parts needed except the jack plate.
Any ideas on that? I know eBay has them, but I'm wondering if there's clues in the photos that indicate build year or range of years.

Attachments:
Truss rod Cavity.jpg [138.93 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Control Cavity.jpg [141.6 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Pickup Cavity.jpg [160.58 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:16 am 

It's certainly a 4001 from somewhere between spring 1972 and the end of production in the early 1980s. The central shedua "skunk stripe" is the tell there. A shot of the fingerboard would help narrow the time period a bit. If the position markers are the "sparkly" full-width type, then the bass came from '72 to '73. The narrower, "poured" pearlescent markers were standard from '73 through 2007. Checker binding was used on the body wings up to fall of '73. Your's probably has just single-layer white binding. Lots more in the book!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:22 pm 

Thanks, Paul.
I know it wasn't checkered binding, and I'm pretty sure it's the later "poured" markers.
You know, I have your book... somewhere. Still unpacking from the last move. If I don't find it soon, I'll buy it again. (Hope you don't mind.... then I'll have two.)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:52 pm 

I don't mind at all! Do you have the original edition or the 2nd edition? The original has a white-bordered blue background on the cover, the 2nd is white-bordered peachy-brown background.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:09 pm 

Paul D. Boyer wrote:
...Do you have the original edition or the 2nd edition?...
I would have been the blue cover version. Looks like I need the 2nd edition.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:25 pm 

You get 16 more pages, 40 some odd more photos, and updated (at least to Spring 2017) info, and a few cosmetic changes. Fixed some errors, too (and added at least one)!

Board index » Just Basses