Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Rickenbacker 650 - 1 truss rod vs 2
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 am 

My Ric 650S Sierra is a 1993 model (the year I was born) and has just one truss rod. This makes adjustment easy but with the oil finished neck with no carbon re-enforcement, the threat of warping is scary. As such I've never gigged it and it sadly stays at home as more of a collector's item.

Does anybody know why Ric switched to two truss rods in the later years this model was made? Or why they made them with just one in the first place? Were the Excalibur (Frisco) or Atlantis models ever made with two truss rods? What are the benefits of having two?

Attachment:
Photo on 16-08-2018 at 17.50 #5.jpg [179.18 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post subject: Rickenbacker 650 - 1 truss rod vs 2
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:21 pm 

Ref 650 Models, I have an Atlantis built in Dec 1996 and it has a single Truss Rod. I have never had to do much tweaking of any kind to the set-up. These are well made guitars and you should not have to worry that, lacking a carbon fiber neck reinforcement, that you would have a warping problem. Do all your other guitars have carbon neck reinforcement ?

I do not know when they changed over the 650 Models to Two Truss Rods. The dual Truss Rods is a more sophisticated system. There is a lot of stuff written about Rickenbacker's Dual Truss Rod system over on the Rick Resource Forum (RRF) as well as posted on this company Forum.

Regarding your concerns about warping and keeping it at home as a Collector's item, I say: Play it, Gig with it, Enjoy it !! Its a Rickenbacker !

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 650 - 1 truss rod vs 2
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:10 am 

Attachment:
Photo on 25-08-2018 at 22.08 #5.jpg [184.81 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Thanks for the reply! I've always loved the Atlantis!
So still not sure when they brought the second truss rod in.
I think the neck shape is perfect on mine and the dual truss rods added some slight girth to the neck, according to another forum, so maybe it's a blessing.

The Atlantis still has a glossy finish though.
The 650S Sierra that I have is finished in tung oil, which I don't think provides as much protection and I've heard it barely penetrates maple. I've seen oil finishes on baked maple guitars with reinforcement rods but I've not seen many raw maple, one-piece necks with such little protection.

I have a Schecter C-1 Classic that I sanded the poly gloss finish off of, and applied tru-oil gun stock finish to it, and the neck ended up warping slightly. That was a five-piece laminate neck, which on paper is much stronger than the Rickenbacker neck.

I live in Rainy Scotland by the way and will be doing gigs in the wet and cold.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 650 - 1 truss rod vs 2
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:17 am 

I suppose it's all about the piece of wood rather than the finish!

If the Rickenbacker farm that these woods are from were analysed and only the choicest blanks of wood were chosen for the necks and they did some kind of warp-testing, I would be happy. It's not a quarter-sawn blank, but it is 24 years old and still ironing-board straight. But also the gold is completely intact so I don't think it's been played a lot at all.

Board index » Just Guitars