Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: custom builds?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:55 pm 

Does Rick ever do one-offs? I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a 660-6 /12 double neck with the 6 on top. I always thought doublenecks had it backwards with the 12 neck on top.

Post subject: Re: custom builds?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:26 pm 

They use to. But now, don't even think about it!! :( :cry:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:05 am 

Dang, too bad. Some places have a cu$tom divi$ion that will make stuff if you are willing to thrown enough money at them.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:24 am 

DCBirdMan wrote:
Dang, too bad. Some places have a cu$tom divi$ion that will make stuff if you are willing to thrown enough money at them.

Rickenbacker make a great product, but unfortunately are not keeping up with the times like other guitar makers with custom builds. They are finally doing some good things like, the wider neck 12 strings (1993Plus/660), but seem to be content on "Don't fix it if it's not Broke" attitude policy.
Great company, but definately room for improvement in certain areas. They need some young new blood with some fresh ideas instead of pounding out the same product and living off their '60s era success! :|

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:16 pm 

Well, they seem to be selling! But the wider neck 12 was finally time to do it. But they have new models -- like Fender has new stuff, all people want is the original models, and the more original the better. There has to be a balance. Still, if the lottery tix I bought today hits, I will just stand there and throw 100s at them till they make that idea.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:13 pm 

[quote="DCBirdMan"]Well, they seem to be selling! But the wider neck 12 was finally time to do it. But they have new models.

I'm sure business is good, and I'm glad they are doing good, but as far as I see it Gibson, Fender, and Rickenbacker are the top three guitar makers and Rickenbacker is the only one of the top three that does not have a custom shop.
There is no bigger fan than me of their product, and all I want to see is some custom mods made available on what ever of their models that you prefer.
Why not make the wider neck available on the 360/12 (single bound), or checkerboard binding, or Gold pickguard and truss rod cover, or finish (Color) you want on what ever model Ric you prefer! :? OK, I'll stop here, I know I'm just "Spitting in the Wind"!! :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 am 

pauleway wrote:
Gibson, Fender, and Rickenbacker are the top three guitar makers and Rickenbacker is the only one of the top three that does not have a custom shop.

I understand it quite differently:
Rickenbacker IS a custom shop. And they will serve you any flavor of guitar you want, as long as it's on the menu. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am 

I understand it quite differently:
Rickenbacker IS a custom shop. And they will serve you any flavor of guitar you want, as long as it's on the menu. ;)[/quote]

I rest my case! Take what is offered and don't step out of line or "NO SOUP FOR YOU 2-YEARS"!
I'm sure Mr. Hall loves guys like you and you will get whatever "Soup" he tells you you like!! :shock:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm 

One has to wonder what benefit there would be to the company to have a custom shop. When orders for your standard "soup" come in faster than you can build them, there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to add a bunch of custom orders on top of that...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:34 pm 

cjj wrote:
One has to wonder what benefit there would be to the company to have a custom shop....

The benefit is to give the best service possible to their true and loyal customers who have supported their product for the last 40 years and doing,and offering something different. They used to do custom orders, but stopped. They have done some new good things (1993Plus, 660 w/wider neck) but should look to the future Ric buyers and offer custom orders (for an up-charge, understandably), that should be the "incentive" needed. :shock:

Board index » Just Guitars