Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: The Rickster - Triple Threat
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 am 

I just love this guitar! While it's not a true Rick, it's soul is pure Rickenbacker.

The guitar is a Jetglo 1999 Squire Stagemaster. I found it in a local pawnshop in bad shape for $80. The bridge was missing parts and the tremblock was stripped out. I was able to track down the missing parts and added a brass tremblock. The original tremblock weighed 120g; the replacement weighs in at 190g, a huge difference. The neck was actually in great shape. Frets were very good and just needed minor tweaking.

I had Terrapin Guitars make a custom black tremolo cover and a black paisley pick guard to hold all three generations of Rickenbacker pickups:

Bridge: Rick Humbucker
Middle: Rick Hi Gain
Neck: Rick Toaster.

Body:

Back:

The bridge is a licensed locking Floyd Rose & nut. Not too many of those on Rickenbacker guitars. It's set up with a set of .010 to .046 gauge strings. Schaller strap locks help keep me from dropping it :) . Controls are simple - a single vol and tone control are all she needs.

I did a similar guitar using an Epiphone guitar but it didn't have a Hi Gain on it - just a Toaster & Humbucker. Since this one has all three it's a Triple Threat.

This guitar turned out great - plays like butter and sounds great! While the Rickenbacker pickups are not cheap, they are well worth the expense.

Post subject: Re: The Rickster - Triple Threat
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 am 

Pretty cool-and nice to see someone going down that path, rather than a super-distortion and a Kahler trem on a Rick. Did you invent a mounting system, or just screw them down into the wood under the pickguard?

Next steps: A Kaufman vibrato and a converter comb!

Post subject: Re: The Rickster - Triple Threat
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am 

LowSurf wrote:
Pretty cool-and nice to see someone going down that path, rather than a super-distortion and a Kahler trem on a Rick. Did you invent a mounting system, or just screw them down into the wood under the pickguard?

Next steps: A Kaufman vibrato and a converter comb!

They mount easily. Just used a screw and nut to bolt them to the pick guard. The height was fine as is. This is how the Rick pups mount to the 420, 425, 450 Rickenbackers as well.

Board index » Just Guitars