Board index » Setup And Technical

Post subject: Hi Gain vs toaster pickups
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:07 pm 

Hi,

I am a long term admirer of Rickenbacker guitars, and very recently bought a very sweet '98 360 12.

I am hoping that John Hall, or someone else with deep historical perspective, can help me understand why the switch to high gains from toasters, and the sonic differences.

Please note that I am not a fanatic about historical accuracy. I know my "good buddy" George had toasters, but understand that new technology doesn't automatically mean bad sound.

I am also aware that offering toasters only in premium "historic" or "vintage reissue" products and only the high gains in the standard line is a clever way to drive profits.

What is the true poop?

Post subject: Re: Hi Gain vs toaster pickups
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:09 am 

By the way, i dont think there is anything wrong with profits!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:45 pm 

John Hall wanted pickups with higher output, so his father designed the hi-gain.

I would imagine the demand was more for the hi-gains, or Rickenbacker felt that it would fit in better in the musical environment of the time.

I think you can order a Rickenbacker with toasters installed, but it would be quicker to buy one already made with hi-gains and then install them.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 am 

Hi, The high-gains are more in line with what the guitar industry does all around these days. Personally I love the chime of the toasters. I don't care about high-output or getting good sounds through a distortion box, which is what I suspect they may be designed for. My toasters in my Rick sound great even through a distortion box (I use a TS9 and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic through a Fender amp cuz my Vox amp broke). I haven't played the high-gain ones enough to be that familiar, but the toasters sound so great I can't imagine them being topped.
Don

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 pm 

DonRicky wrote:
Hi, The high-gains are more in line with what the guitar industry does all around these days. Personally I love the chime of the toasters. I don't care about high-output or getting good sounds through a distortion box, which is what I suspect they may be designed for. My toasters in my Rick sound great even through a distortion box (I use a TS9 and a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic through a Fender amp cuz my Vox amp broke). I haven't played the high-gain ones enough to be that familiar, but the toasters sound so great I can't imagine them being topped.
Don

Umm... The hi-gains are not high-output pickups, nor do they lose any "chime" or "jangle." They were designed in the sixties, and I don't think they've changed the design since then.

...and there's a reason they come stock in most Rickenbackers.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm 

Hi, I guess thats right. I had read they were higher gain, which is true but after looking int it, barely higher. 7.4 ohms for the toasters, and 8 for the high-gain. Modern pickups that are higher gain are 11 or 12, so I was incorrect. Like I said, I've never tried the high-gain, but I love the toasters.
Thanks, Don

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:02 pm 

There's very little difference between then if you compress them.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:31 am 

Thanks to all the replies.

I suspected that there isn't much difference in sound. When I plug mine in, it sure sounds like a Ric 12! I expect that going from a Fender to a Vox will give you much more tonal difference than a toaster to what people call "high gains".

One of the great things about Rickenbacker is that they have remained steadfast in many ways to the iconic designs, but because of that, their customers dont like change!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:06 pm 

DonRicky wrote:
Don

Are you talking about the modern Toadters? I was surprised to read an online review saying the reissue tiasters were horrible. So hard to find Rics to play, and feedback welcome, on the humbuckers as well. Thanks

Post subject: Hi Gain vs toaster pickups
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:07 pm 

I was under the impression that Toasters (both old style "Hot Toasters" and new style "Scatterwounds") all utilized Alnico magnet pole pieces and that High Gains utilized a flexible ceramic magnet. My understanding all along has been that the Alnico magnets, and the amount of windings, influenced the resistance and output, as well as that distinctive tone of the Toasters.

Board index » Setup And Technical