Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Chris Squire's Bass
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 am 

Quote:
He's still got those chops, what a player.

Out of all of the ubiquitous Ric bass players from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, Chris is far and away the one that has inspired me the most--not really to cop his sound so much as to learn from his example that bass can be simultaneously melodic and groovy, and on top of that he can sing beautifully over the whole thing. Just amazing. I caught them on the Howe/Squire/White tour and it was just as amazing to me as catching an upper-eschelon jazz performance. Got to meet Chris afterward--signed my copy of FOOW--and he was polite and nice in spite of my blathering on about how much I loved "Silently Falling" and "Lucky Seven". What a guy.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:58 am 

Bjlevine...if You're going to re-finish the MPC in white like the one Chris has, go the extra mile and modify it to be more like the one Chris has. The upper and lower horns are not the same length and are shorter than the production one. It also has a BadAss bridge on it as well as Grover Titans. Look closely and you'll see it also has 21 frets, with the pickguard cut away to accomodate the longer fretboard. The pickguard is made out of brass and has the controls laid out differently too.
I went to your bands website and was impressed at how close your covers were of the YessSongs versions. I did however notice your use of a modified Ricky copy 4001 instead of the real deal, although it certainly sounded the part.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:10 am 

So did anybody ever figure out when his horseshoe was disconnected? I did notice that in the early 70's his live sound had lots of treble but his sound got much deeper in the late 70's. I'm not sure if this is related in any way but it's just an observation.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:18 pm 

Does anyone know how his Ric was setup as to action height?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:41 pm 

kbhag here, amazing to look at a forum post that I started a decade ago is still active.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:28 pm 

Hi,

I think that Chris´s has/had a really beautiful and rich of overtoned sounding Rick.
His toaster sounds so awesome to me .Somehow more overtones and brighter.I really cannot describe.

For a small example,look at this Video ( I´m sure,you know it ,too :-) ) at min. 0.19 - 0.25 ,where Chris made a joke about the finger exercises :-D .

I´ll find,that sound so amazing to me.And I love it so much.

You know,what I mean ?

How he get this great sound ?
Or is it really,'cause he shaped his one,for two times ?

Anyone have an idea ?

Michael

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Board index » Just Basses