Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Squire's Bass
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:33 am 

All of the YES tribute bands I've seen have stopped at trying to duplicate the costumes that YES wears. I for one think it would be cool to have a copy of Squires "backgammon" suite made up. As for amplification, Peter in SEYES doesn't play in Rick-O-Sound so it's clearly not mandatory. I think the right paying technique is the biggest factor. followed by the bass and then the amplification.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:44 am 

Quote:
All of the YES tribute bands I've seen have stopped at trying to duplicate the costumes that YES wears. I for one think it would be cool to have a copy of Squires "backgammon" suite made up. As for amplification, Peter in SEYES doesn't play in Rick-O-Sound so it's clearly not mandatory. I think the right paying technique is the biggest factor. followed by the bass and then the amplification.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the playing technique being the most important (Squire's is often very aggressive). But I'll tell you what...once you've tried splitting the sound into two different rigs (one clean, one overdriven) its hard to imagine playing Yes music any other way. By the way, my bass is mono, so I split the signal with a Morley ABY switch, the B side going through my effects unit. It does sound good. As for the outfit, I actually think that its only crucial for me and the keyboardist to really nail it. Squire and Wakeman were known for the outfits they wore in the '70s. By the way, anyone ever heard Yes' original live version of America (I think it was Tony Kaye's last performance before Wakeman)? Its really amazing. One thing I really loved about early Yes were the great extended jams. But I digress.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 pm 

Quote:
Could anyone from the Rickenbacker Organization give some history on Mr. Squire's Bass? If it has ever had any factory repair work, re-magnetizing of the pickups(s) or refinishing? Many stories have circulated about this unique instrument, any insight to actual work or interesting facts about his guitar would be a welcome read.

Thanks,

Kenny

I figured I would revive this thread since the guy who could give us the definative answer on all such things is now posting on the Forums!

Mr. Squire you have the floor:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:58 am 

haha, i love chris!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:34 am 

He used it on Tempus fugit off of the Drama album. You can see him play the bass on the video. Check youtube.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm 

I own a the squire reissue bass which I purchased new back in the 90's. This bass has been gigged endlessly performing just about every yes song from the 70's with one of my bands,Yesterdays - the classic yes tribute. I met with squire many times and still see him backstage often when he/they are in town. I've had him sign the back of the headstock of this bass along with the back of the headstock of my 4008. I've recently retired the bass for fear of wearing it out any further. My problem is this. The frets and nut have become so worn due to excessive playing and use of rotosounds that they need to be replaced. Now while I know competent luthiers I really dont trust anyone replacing the frets other than rickenbacker as I want to keep it as original as I can. I would love to take this bass out of its showcase and use it to perform again. My question is this If I flew the bass out to Ric and hand delivered it (As I do not trust sending this one in the mail) would Ric be kind enough to do the fret job and nut replacement for me? Not for free of course lol

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry- we only do warranty repairs. However, refretting should not present much of a challenge to any competent luthier.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm 

Quote:
Sorry- we only do warranty repairs. However, refretting should not present much of a challenge to any competent luthier.

I understand and thanks. I agree it does not present much of a challenge to a competent luthiers and I have had some very nice work done in the past. Its just that most seem to have their own idea of size and shape of the frets and none seem to feel the same on a ric as the ones ric uses. I had my 78 4001 refretted by a famous luthier (I wont mention who) and while the instrument still plays nice it does not feel the same as it did when it was original. I dont know I guess I'll keep this one under wraps for awhile until I can figure something out.Fortunately I have plenty of other rics to play. It would just be nice to break this one out again. CHEERS :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:35 am 

Quote:
bjlevine, welcome to the forum. Almost all worth while human endeavors require much hard work and a bunch of luck. Sounds like you all have the work side covered... so wishing you good luck! Keep us posted!

We're starting to kick into high gear. We have a new keyboardist who is phenomenal. I decided to go with an offshoot of the Going for the One outfit, black and white diamonds. You can find more info on us at www.theclassicyestribute.com.

Also, for anyone in the Tampa area, we have a couple of gigs coming up this month, including a two hour set at the Chasco Fiesta in New Port Richey, FL, which is free. More info at the above link.

Oh, and I recently picked up a Electra MPC bass, which is the bass Chris played on Tempus Fugit. It has a lot of Ric style appointments, such as Ric style bridge, neck thru design, and tuners, so I can see why Chris liked it. I'm planning on refinishing it in white like Chris's bass.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:48 am 

Just an FYI, CS is using "The Ric" on the current Yes tour. He used I think 5 different basses, one of them that "Fish out of Water" Ric, (couldn't see it too well, but it was cool looking), and the Ric we all know and love was played for about 80% of the show. He's still got those chops, what a player.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Just Basses