Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4001 tuning gear
 Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:08 am 

I have recently bought my first Rickenbacker. It is a really nice 1978 4001. One problem I have is I am missing the gear and screw from my G string tuner. The tuners are original and are Schaller, I believe. The gear has a smaller hole than a Fender. So I can't use a Fender.
So far, I have not had any luck locating a gear that will fit.
Any ideas where I might can find a gear?
If I can't find a gear, I may have to replace all the tuners. What do you recommend for replacement tuners that don't require any modifications and will be as close to original as possible.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 4001 tuning gear
 Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 am 

The new tuners available from RIC will fit your 4001 without the need for modification.
This set:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/cart.asp?vi ... y=Keywinds

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:14 am 

Thanks for the info.
If I can't find a gear (and I am not having any luck)
I will go with the new tuners.

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:25 am 

I bought a set from one of the UK vendors - and yes - they are fantastic, but be warned, they're not an exact fit!

You'll get three of the screws to match up, but the fourth, will have to go in at a slight angle!!!!

There's a post here somewhere, where one player recommends filling the old holes, and re-drilling. Maybe just do that on one of the holes. From memory, it is the bottom right hole of each tuner.

Maybe just leave the fourth screw out.

Talking of screws, anybody know a source of #3 x 3/8" phillips (or posi) R/Head wood screws in the UK?

This is the size used for tuners (16), the bridge pup plate (4), the TRC (3) and the jack socket (4). That's a total of 27 screws. I've got a 4001 and a 4003, which I'd like to replace the screws, so 54 of them at £0.60 each from Rosetti can start to get a bit pricey! I thoght I'd just buy a box, but it turns out that #3 screws are like hen's teeth in the UK (and the US too). Even the metric equivalent (2.5 x 10mm) are not to be seen anywhere in R/head posi, stainless steel!

VC

VC

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:25 am 

The original tuners were Kluson, not Schaller. All of the tuner mounting holes are slightly off, with the only way to get three to line up being tweaking the tuner at a slight angle. I would dowel and redrill all of the holes if you use the current RIC/Schaller vintage tuners.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm 

I've been talking with another fellow 4001 player (not a member here - yet!) and one of his retaining machine screws from his 1978 chequer 4001 is missing. It's the short 1/4" screw/bolt that holds the gear onto the tuner.

The current ones on the boutique are for Schallers, but 1978 basses used Klusions. I have both, and the screw bolts are not the same!

Does anybody know the UNC/UNF bolt thread size of the original Klusions?

Thanks

VC

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:24 am 

On tour, somewhere between Finland and England, I lost one of those quarter inch screws/washer for the back of the headstock where the Kluson tuning nut is for my 1981 Rick bass. I have made good with a raw plug and wood screw, but obviously want this sorted out properly. Can anybody help me out? Just need one of these screws? Thank you for reading.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:25 am 

On tour, somewhere between Finland and England, I lost one of those quarter inch screws/washer for the back of the headstock where the Kluson tuning nut is for my 1981 Rick bass. I have made good with a raw plug and wood screw, but obviously want this sorted out properly. Can anybody help me out? Just need one of these screws? Thank you for reading.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:11 pm 

Quote:

The topic has come up in a couple of threads recently - anybody out there know the thread size of the 1/4" pan-head machine screws that hold the Klusion gears in place?

VC

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:01 am 

i have the same problem, im looking for the gears / screws, 3 of them... i prefer to fix the old ones that buy a new ones

Board index » Just Basses