Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 am 

360girl--Billy Zoom was the guitarist for X, up until the album "We're Lost." He was replaced by Dave Alvin, and then the guitarist for Lone Justice. Gretsch finally made a repro of his Sparkle Jet. I think Billy's back with X now. He does run an amp repair/mod business these days, too.

My tone recipe is simple--Rick straight to either my AC15 or Music Man 212 HD. Oh, and for playing quietly, Rick straight into a SF Fender Champ. The reverb on my Music Man gave out years ago, so I've been playing dry for years. I guess I'm used to it now!

Also, I just figured out the other day that I think my 620 sounds best with the neck pickup lowered all the way down--it was always a little too overwhelming for the sound I was after. Now, it's perfect! And don't forget strings that still have some life in them!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:24 am 

Quote:
WhoJamFan and BlueAngel - Hiwatts? Man! I used one of those back in the early 90s for gigging (a DR103). Can you say L-O-U-D? That was during my "I have to sound like the 'Live at Leeds'" phase. You know what Hiwatts are like - once you get past 5 or so, te enter the realm of deafening. There is no such thing as medium volume with a Hiwatt Custom 50 or Custom 100. It was either too quiet, or waayy too loud! Still, it sure was great for a hammering rhythmn tone.

Well yeah, you have to have an amp that is louder than the ringing in your ears-haha. Seriously though, that's why I use pedals in front of it, as gassing this puppy can be too much for everyone but me. The amp gives outstanding headroom, which allows the tone controls on the pedals to actually do something usefull instead of choking the sound and adding noise, like so many other amps I've owned.

Playing it through an open back 2x12 cabinet was much better suited for the bar band thing, and I was actually able to get some good medium volume sounds out of it. The 4x12, however, is just as you described it. In closing, it's always a wonderfull thing to have all of that thick, clean headroom on tap when in a situation that calls for it.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:02 pm 

Quote:
WhoJamFan and BlueAngel - Hiwatts? Man! I used one of those back in the early 90s for gigging (a DR103). Can you say L-O-U-D? That was during my "I have to sound like the 'Live at Leeds'" phase. You know what Hiwatts are like - once you get past 5 or so, te enter the realm of deafening. There is no such thing as medium volume with a Hiwatt Custom 50 or Custom 100. It was either too quiet, or waayy too loud! Still, it sure was great for a hammering rhythmn tone.
They certainly can be loud, but I haven't found it difficult to get a good tone at any volume with them - the guitarist in my band does have an attenuator but we haven't found it necessary yet. He's running it with two tubes pulled through a Marshall HW 2x12" cab (closed back) with Celestion G12H-30s, and it can just get to breakup at a usable volume and great tone if you set it right. The MV on Hiwatts is quite good, it's properly 'logarithmic' and doesn't start to really open up until it's about halfway.

If you really want to hear the ultimate Hiwatt tone, they did make a 400W model too! (DR405) - the highest-powered tube amp I've worked on. They're surprisingly subtle even with that huge power available, and the clean tone at low volume is to die for - it has a wonderful depth and space to it. I'd quite like one for bass... but they're rare, heavy, expensive and cost a fortune to retube (6x KT88, and you need proper GEC ones).

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:51 am 

BTW, I'm a fan of the "standard" Rat. I've never tried the "Original" one and I'm not sure how they differ. A friend of mine had the Turbo Rat and it was a little too over the top for my liking.

As for my Hiwatts, they're both 50 watters. One is a Bulldog combo with a Fane and the other is a head with the 4x12 bottom and Fanes. I use the combo for smaller gigs but I prefer the 4x12 as the closed back delivers more bottom end and punch. Yes, to get the sweet spot you've got to push them, but I set them up with the masters up high and pre down low to get a nice clean sound then let the Rat to the rest of the work. It's warmth really seems to do the trick for me.

Also note I have 12k toasters in the bridges of my 6 string Rics with the 0.0047 cap, and the solids have Ric HB's in the neck (with toaster covers on them), which I dial in the HB to my liking.

It may sound wierd, but to my ears it's a blend of multiple tones. Think something like Cheap Trick meets The Smithereens, yet it still works well as a bit of a heavier REM and Who. And maybe a little Jam and Husker Du/Sugar in there too.

I know I've posted them before, but if you'd like, here's some live samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHIZSjby ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti3y12M5 ... re=related

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:45 pm 

Quote:
BTW, I'm a fan of the "standard" Rat. I've never tried the "Original" one and I'm not sure how they differ. A friend of mine had the Turbo Rat and it was a little too over the top for my liking.
I prefer the RAT II - the standard one with the small square box and the LED in the triangle of the 'A'.

As far as I know all the versions only differ in the type of clipping diodes they use, but some time ago the type of IC was changed as well, and the new ones (of course, since this is something to do with guitars!) don't sound as good. They also changed the type of switch from a heavy-duty DPDT to a modern 3PDT - although they're all 'true' bypass, the older ones were done with a clever circuit that allows that and the LED at the same time (which probably some people didn't believe). This circuit is also called the 'Millenium bypass', but ProCo were the first to use it.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 pm 

Quote:
I prefer the RAT II - the standard one with the small square box and the LED in the triangle of the 'A'.

Yep, that's the one. I've just always called it the "standard" Rat, but you are correct, its the "II".

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 pm 

I also have a Rat II. It is pretty good right out of the box, but it gets a little smoother if you change the chip to an LM308N.

I bought an AC15 for my 360/12, but it turns out to sound even better through the new '65 Princeton Reverb RI.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:29 am 

Quote:
I also have a Rat II. It is pretty good right out of the box, but it gets a little smoother if you change the chip to an LM308N.
That's the original chip type, which was changed a few years ago to something else (I don't remember what). The LM308N version definitely sounds better, to me.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:00 am 

OK, Here's one for you! I perfomed an experiment in terror last week at a gig. I set up a line6 xt live and a(get this) Leslie 910 with custom built pedal for switching speeds and an additional input for the 2-6x9 speakers in the top cab. You should have heard my 1997 thru THAT get up! My guitar was loud,but not in the blow-yer-face-off kind of way. It just sounded huge and very present. It was just a PITA to haul around. Anybody else use a Leslie in their rig?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:59 am 

No Leslie here, but sounds like a cool terror experiment.

I have yet to try it live, but I've wanted to double up my Hiwatts and keep one dry and the other with a little delay. I've done it at practice and it sounds HUGE. But like you, I can do without the PITA of hauluing it! Probably why I haven't done it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars