Board index » Deja Vu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beatles...
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 am 

I own the Beatles Compelte Scores and I would highly recomend it. I own other Beatles tab books like Finger picking The Beatles, that's a good one. Then there is the Acoustic Beatles Chord book which is great. I go back to my Compelete Beatles book all the time.

Great Christmas gift!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 am 

Quote:

I know all the Beatles' songs and I arrange them in Midi format too, years of hard work to get them right.

Zurdo

Right on Zurdo, nice work.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:30 am 

Quote:
but boys, do you need a "static" book to play Beatles songs? (or anybody else's songs?)

I learned them the hard way, by ear, starting 46 years ago, (with the VJ Beatles record), sitting in front of my sister's "Ken & Barbie" pink record player because it was the only record player in those days. Ok, so we weren't rich, so don't laugh. My parents spent the money in my sisters' educations. But one of my sisters, Eileen the oldest, came home every Christmas with Beach Boys and Motown records, and in 1963 showed up with The Beatles VJ record, FOR ME! (yes I still have it).

I know all the Beatles' songs and I arrange them in Midi format too, years of hard work to get them right.

And I play in a 1-man Beatles Band, with a Yamaha Sequencer, and a Roland VS recorder where I mix audio and midi. Gigantic sound system with a stereo amp where each instrument is routed to its own set of Vox speakers. Yes Vox PA Grenadier XII speakers and a Series 90 guitar amp. (and JBL cabinets too). No lip singing here. No air guitars. No posing.

I play the Hofner Bass, the Rickenbacker 12 string, and all the other 6 string parts in my Kent and Gibson. I sing all the leads, and I recorded the vocal harmonies in the Roland VS which is synched to the Yamaha Sequencer.

So stop posing with your Rickenbackers and start playing ♫ :-)) You don't learn dynamics or velocity from a book, only by playing hard. And don't forget the Singing, all The Beatles SANG their hearts out for heaven's sake!

Zurdo

You and me is SIMPATICO, brothercat....didn't have a digital tuner in those days...sometimes worked the songs out in a flat or sharp key, trying to match what I was hearing on the record player,realizing later that it was all first position stuff, and had to TRANSPOSE...now there's a word....transposing songs from one key to another...all by ear. Worked out harmonies purely from singing over and over till we got it.....tore records up picking the needle arm up and placing it back down on a section for the hundreth time to get a riff...those were the days when you plugged your guitar into one channel of your Fender or Silvertone amp, and plugged your microphone into the other channel...yeah, baby.....I walked 14 miles to school in the Chicago winter---wait...never mind....the point is, as you say, get out there and PLAY, which, admittedly, is very tough today because there are way too many music people in the world, and fewer and fewer venues to work....

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 pm 

Quote:
You and me is SIMPATICO, brothercat....didn't have a digital tuner in those days...sometimes worked the songs out in a flat or sharp key, trying to match what I was hearing on the record player,realizing later that it was all first position stuff, and had to TRANSPOSE...now there's a word....transposing songs from one key to another...all by ear. Worked out harmonies purely from singing over and over till we got it.....tore records up picking the needle arm up and placing it back down on a section for the hundreth time to get a riff...those were the days when you plugged your guitar into one channel of your Fender or Silvertone amp, and plugged your microphone into the other channel...yeah, baby.....I walked 14 miles to school in the Chicago winter---wait...never mind....the point is, as you say, get out there and PLAY, which, admittedly, is very tough today because there are way too many music people in the world, and fewer and fewer venues to work....

a nation of starving musicians and club owners who hire DJs to play "Who Let Da Dogout" cd's

:-))

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 am 

Quote:
a nation of starving musicians and club owners who hire DJs to play "Who Let Da Dogout" cd's

:-))

As cool as The Beatles Rock Band game is, (I've not played it myself, only watched others play it at the local electronics big box warehouse), games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are direct competition for the music entertainment dollar. Folks can go out and hear live music, with all of the attendant drinking/driving issues, and indoor smoking bans, or they can invite a couple of friends into the comfort of their own home and enjoy a cheaper, musicical, and more participatory night. Many people are choosing the latter.

It ain't easy selling live music. I've been doing this off and on for 25+ years, and the nightly rate for a 3 set Friday night at the local watering hole hasn't changed. There are a lot fewer 5 and 6 piece bands, and a lot more duos and trios now.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:29 am 

Quote:
Quote:
As cool as The Beatles Rock Band game is, (I've not played it myself, only watched others play it at the local electronics big box warehouse), games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are direct competition for the music entertainment dollar. Folks can go out and hear live music, with all of the attendant drinking/driving issues, and indoor smoking bans, or they can invite a couple of friends into the comfort of their own home and enjoy a cheaper, musicical, and more participatory night. Many people are choosing the latter.

It ain't easy selling live music. I've been doing this off and on for 25+ years, and the nightly rate for a 3 set Friday night at the local watering hole hasn't changed. There are a lot fewer 5 and 6 piece bands, and a lot more duos and trios now.

You have nailed it, Paul...I started in high school back in 1965, shortly after watching several hundred girls lose control at a movie theatre watching "A Hard Day's Night"...played recently with a 4-piece band for the last 5 years doing the nightclubs in a southern city still suffering the ravages of General Sherman....the pay was about the same 25 years ago when I was full-time in Chicagoland....what I saw was club owners hiring solely on the ability of a band to bring their own audience to a gig...i'm sorry to say a lotta sub-standard bands are gigging steadily, but for next to nothing pay....we all saw the light dying and shut the band down....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:58 pm 

"all things must pass", the business of live music has changed. Very few activities or events use live music anymore, the perception is that a DJ is cheaper. a lot depends on where we live. But overall, I think live music is dead, unless you are watching it on tv.

The curious thing is that I, as an older musician, still feel like 20 years old, with all the energy required to move and set up equipment, play 4 hours, and then pack up and drive home.

Over here in Florida many musicians complain about DJs ruining the business of live music, and it may be true, but it's the customers who decide who to hire, and they are hiring DJs.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:32 pm 

Quote:
Over here in Florida many musicians complain about DJs ruining the business of live music, and it may be true, but it's the customers who decide who to hire, and they are hiring DJs.

We're drifting from the original topic here, but I'll add this: Many of the large hotels and ethnic halls around here that book wedding receptions have a "house" DJ built into the base price. If you book the room, you are paying for the DJ. If you want to hire a band or a different DJ, that's up to you, but you've already paid for a DJ. The venue gets a bit of peace of mind working with a known quantity. The DJ gets a sweet sweet deal with a regular gig. And the rest of us get to watch a rerun of CSI on Saturday night.

Back to the original topic.....One of the things I truly do like about The Beatles Complete Scores is that it most often combines tablature with standard notation. I'm not a fan at all of tablature on its own, but combined with standard notation tablature is a very useful tool.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 am 

Quote:
Quote:
We're drifting from the original topic here, but I'll add this: Many of the large hotels and ethnic halls around here that book wedding receptions have a "house" DJ built into the base price. If you book the room, you are paying for the DJ. If you want to hire a band or a different DJ, that's up to you, but you've already paid for a DJ. The venue gets a bit of peace of mind working with a known quantity. The DJ gets a sweet sweet deal with a regular gig. And the rest of us get to watch a rerun of CSI on Saturday night.

The use of the word "gig" in relation to a DJ seems blasphemous, DJs being no-talent leeches making money for playing cds and owning a wonderful MusiciansFriend colored light system.....BACK TO RICKS---

Some of my best memories of "the life", here recently, was playing my 360-12 at a club and how the sound stopped traffic, and sent all the young dudes and dudettes to the stage axing about that gorgeous FireGlow guitar that sounded like a diamond rainstorm.....my Rick really got attention at gigs, even though some of the kids at these clubs never heard of Beatles or Byrds....it was time to retire...recording for the internet is next for this cat

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:23 am 

Hmmm. "diamond rainstorm". I may use that image in a song sometime. That's exactly what a Rick 12 string sounds like in capable hands.

I also miss the live music days. From 1970 to 1984 I did 60 (local) to 250+ (on the road) gigs per year. I stopped earning my primary living as a musician in '81, because DJ's (remnants of disco) were starting to take so many of the jobs. As someone mentioned, the money didn't really go up that much.

I have a situation where someone at work is retiring in a few weeks and has heard a couple of my covers on CD. She wants me to 'throw something together' to perform in front of 40 to 100 co-workers at her retirement party. I'm an out of shape, old fart who hasn't gigged (or even played that much) since '84. She's a big oldies (late 50's early 60's) fan so I'm throwing together a 10 to 15 minute medley, doing all the parts. I plan to mix out the lead vocal and just sing to the CD at the party. Tonight I used my 330/6 (with flanger) to lay down chords for 'You've lost that loving feeling'. I'm psyched, but nervous. Lotta years gone by, lotta credibility to lose. Now I'm down to 1 gig per century!

BTW, the Beatles scores book has helped me a lot with the Beatles covers I have recorded.

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Deja Vu