Rickenbacker International Corporation - Forum
http://rickenbacker.com/forum/

My 4001 project...
http://rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4153
Page 1 of 1

Author:  shaggydawg [ Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:49 am ]
Post subject:  My 4001 project...

Finally finished cleaning up my '74 4001! This guitar was gifted to me by a relative who no longer plays. When I got it, it was definitely gig-worn.

Thanks to all who helped me locate parts and for help with how to restore the finish.

Here are some pics:

Before...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/ ... ure001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/ ... ure002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/ ... ure003.jpg

...and after.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/ ... ure004.jpg

Author:  swold4001 [ Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Nicely done. How'd ya do it?

Author:  Rickenbrother [ Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Excellent job! It looks like it went from a 4001 that you found in a dumpster to a beautiful brand new Rick.
Now keep it that way. Don't ever let it get all grimey and cruddy again!

Author:  johnallg [ Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Impressive Shaggy. Was that a Scratch-X/Zymol job? It looks fantastic now.

Author:  gray [ Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Very, very nice! That's what I like to see!

Author:  Rickenbrother [ Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Quote:
Was that a Scratch-X/Zymol job? It looks fantastic now.

I was wondering about that also.

Author:  shaggydawg [ Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like it!

Yes, it was basically a Windex/Scratch-X/Zymol job. In fact, I followed Paul's instructions just about to the letter. (See thread "Prep for clean-up")

There was also some touch-up done to the pickups using gloss black enamel, and a little chrome polishing.

I had to repair the Grover tuners also, as they were starting to fall apart. It really required an arbor press, but not having one, I did it with a nail set and hammer. They're nice and tight now.

A couple other minor tweaks here and there and some small hardware replacement (pickguard screws, strap buttons, etc).

It was a bit of work, but worth it!

Author:  iiipopes [ Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Quote:
It was a bit of work, but worth it!


Now THERE's the understatement of the day! Congrats!

Author:  johnallg [ Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Beautiful FG burst pattern, Shaggy! Definitly worth the effort, and come to think of it, the price!

Author:  jingle_jangle [ Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My 4001 project...

Nice work. The trick with the nail set and hammer on the Grovers is one I use and works well.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/