Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Removing Jetglo to Natural Finish
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:45 am 

Sorry if this has been discussed before...any answers here will save me a whole lot of trolling so please forgive me if it is repeated

I am interested in getting a Ric 325v58 (Lennon)...I really want the natural finish one but since the discontinuation of this model the natural ones are very hard to get hold of now..However I do see the Jetglo version appear on Ebay from time to time...So my question is..If I purchase a jetglo version is it ok to remove the paint and re-finish it in nitro?...

The reason I ask is that I know that Fender sometimes only use the best quality versions for their natural finish and any substandard body descrepancies would be painted in a colour to cover that up...I am worried that when I sand the jetglo back that I may reveal a monster underneath...so..Do Rickenbacker sometimes employ this cover up method?

Thanks in advance for all your help..

Lew

Also..I notice that the jetglo version of this model does not have the elongated jack plate like the natural version...If they are suppose to be replicas of the exact same guitar (not the same as the 1964 model which was a very different thinner body model) in different finishes then why does it not have the long jack plate?

Post subject: Re: Removing Jetglo to Natural Finish
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While we don't hesitate to cover up some spectacular Maple with Jetglo finish if that's what we have orders for, we certainly do try to select the best looking wood grain for natural Maple finished instruments. The worst you'd find might be some "mineral stains", streaks where the wood isn't as bright or attractive.

I presume you meant 325V59 where the underlying wood is Maple whereas the 325C58, made in Alder, was almost always produced in natural finish anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 am 

I didn't realise there were 2 different body woods on this model at all...and I can't find the 325V59 in the 'Models- C series' on the forum..only the 325V58 MG and the 325V58 JG...and both specs are exactly the same (as far as I can see) including Body made of alder.

So if I find a 325V59 JG (jetglo) it will not be in the same body wood as the MG (mapleglo)?

Also are there any other differences I should know about if my objective is to get it as close to the Lennon 325 rick from Hamburg in its natural finish other than hardware?

Thanks again for your time..I do appreciate your expertise in this matter..

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:19 am 

The serial of the one I am interested in is:
L3 4234

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps you overlooked this:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_pos ... vint-5.jpg

The V Series guitars were produced only with Maple wood, while the 325C58 was produce only with Alder. Both were available with natural color finish.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:49 am 

Yes..I totally missed this.....Thanks for the info...

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish