Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Shiny Matte Finish
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:22 am 

Hi all. New to the site and am finally a RIC owner. Of two RIC"s, I might proudly add. I just purchased a 1963 model 430 six string in natural matte finish. The person I bought it from said it was purchased new in 1984 when they also purchased a 360 in Autumn glo. I bougth the 360, 4 weeks ago. It appears this 430 sat in a store for 21 years before ever being sold. I presumed it was also a 1984. What a shock when I learned of it's true vintage age. Thank you RIC for having this great web page! The original purchaser didn't know how to play guitar, and never learned, so it was only played a couple of times by a friend. It is virtually new. I just noticed a couple spots on the horns that seem shiny as compared to the rest of the matte finish. Is there a way to return these shiny spots to matte again? It bugs me that the finish isn't even, but if it can't be returned to matte again, I'll settle for what I have. Settle? I can'tbelieve I said that! I also, still have my 1966 Kay Vanguard I purchased for my birthday when I was a Junior in high school. I finally got the neck re-fretted and it plays like butter. Better than my Fender Strat. Thanks, Keith

Post subject: Re: Shiny Matte Finish
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:29 pm 

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get the shiny spots back to matte finish on my 1963 model 430 in natural. I still haven't figured out how to post a picture with the message. Thanks, Keith

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:03 pm 

Keith,

Typically, the matte finish is created by adding a "flattening agent" to the finish and spraying it on carefully as the last coat. When the finish is completely dry, the surface is not shiny, but dulled to some degree and left alone. Gloss instruments will be sanded with very fine grit sandpaper and buffed to a high gloss.

When an area of the matte finish is rubbed, such as from the arm resting on top of the guitar or by the hand rubbing the finish on the neck, it will become shiny in those places.

You can dull the shiny areas again by CAREFUL use of Micro-Mesh soft touch pads, but it takes a great deal of patience and a gentle touch to do it.

Good luck,

Jim

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:28 am 

I presume you have a 1963 420. A picture would sort that out quick enough.

The 430 is an entirely different guitar that was made from the mid 70s to the early 80s. There is no such thing as a 1963 430. (The 430 has a bolt on neck and two pickups, while the 420 has one pickup and is neck through construction).

The 430 did come with a matte finish on the brown ones....

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7