Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish

Post subject: Jetglo clouding
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:34 am 

I have two Rickenbackers: a 2008 Jetglo 360, and a 2004 Mapleglo 350v63. I keep both waxed (Gerlitz on all my guitars) and looking beautiful, however the JG finish will get cloudy just sitting in the case. What is the cause and solution to this, and why doesn't the MG 350 have the same problem? Isn't the finish the same?

Post subject: Re: Jetglo clouding
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm 

It maybe that the cloudiness is just more obvious to see on the JG, rather than a clear finish.
Firstly spray a soft natural cloth with window cleaner, don't directly spray the guitar.
Wipe the guitar down well with this to remove the cloudy finish, Wipe completely dry and leave it air, don't put it straight back in it's case.

As to why this cloudy finish maybe happening,

Excess polish, or putting the guitar back in it case straight after polishing, With warmer weather the guitar may sweat and leave this residue, some may even be transferred to the case itself. It maybe wse to air the case.

Some tips to help, if you want to polish your guitar, firstly clean it very well with window cleaner sprayed onto a soft cloth, find another cloth to dry it, let the guitar stand for a 1/2 hour or so prior to it going back in it's case or polishing

Always use polish extremely sparingly, and evenly apply. Use a fresh cloth to buff it and clean it. Let it stand for 10 minutes and re buff, then it should be OK to put back in it's case.

Wipe the guitar down well after each use, and only polish very occasionally.

Post subject: Re: Jetglo clouding
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm 

Thank you, I'm going to do what you said!

Board index » Rick restoration from part to finish