Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Squire's Bass
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:16 am 

Quote:
Quote:
... the reason he uses it is because of the neck ... he prefers the slim 60s neck ...
I always read that the neck of a CS was made to his wishes, but the neck on my CS is certainly not slim. The neck on my '80 4003 is slimmer.

What new/currently-available 4000 series Ric has the slimmest profile? The C64?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:52 am 

Everytime I try to access 'www.seyes.co.uk' I end up going to a totally unrelated site.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:59 am 

My CS, #207 from August '91 is really sweet, but the neck certainly is among the chunkier, and very similar to 4003s of the period. On the other hand, my '94 V63 is actually slimmer feeling. Not that it matters because I'm very used to the huge "C" neck on my '60 Precision which although it is slim front to back, is massive side to side. My recently departed '69 4001 Burgundyglo, #IA007, was incredibly slim. What I miss most though on my two newer ones is that nice pronounced rounder radius, along with the thinner profile at the edges on the back. Mmmmm!!!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:07 pm 

Hi Lefty bass,
Good to be back!
I have emailed the SYN to see if its possible to meet up with Chris Squire at their Manchester Academy gig next month. If I do meet Chris I will hopefully get the chance to compare my CS with the original so standby with fingers crossed.
Crazy Rick, I think that problem getting onto our website has happened to a few other folks too so I will contact our webmistress Louise to see what the snag is.
Got to go now,I have a rehearsal all afternoon,trying to polish off the rough edges to Close To The Edge.Its the YESSONGS version so I expect to have no voice or fingertips by tea time!
Cheers.Pete.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:20 am 

You lucky dog...
I would love to play bass in a YES tribute band... I just can't find the caliber musicians to do these tunes.. Whenever I mention YES I scare off most players :)
Years ago I had a really good keyboard player and we did ROndabout and Temptest Fuegiest...
As for Geddy... I hope his Jazz bass is a cutom shop one, since the "off-the-shelf" ones I played were life-less, very heavy and lacked any warmth or musicalness...All I heard was strings and no wood...
ANY "off-the-shelf" 4003 is head and shoulders over that GL Jazz bass..

Chris

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:44 am 

John Hall wrote:
Quote:
It's my understanding that "the" bass has been retired from touring for some time now. It's likely he was using one of his LE basses and perhaps has taken to using all pickups.

Anyway, I'll ask him the next time I see him, which will probably be in January.

So, John, did you remember to ask if he is still using "the bass"?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:09 pm 

Hello there cerrem,
It took me 9 months to find and audition people for SEYES. They are out there believe me.Like any band situation its 10% talent plus 90% getting on with each other.
I was really lucky in that I found a keyboard player with a classical background similar to Wakeman who is also as daft as a brush.Then I got several calls from a guy in Liverpool who wanted to sing but had never fronted a band.I was dubious but eventually got him to come to rehearsal and he had THE VOICE and being a northerner the vocal inflection is the same.
Then it was a year of rehearsal and gradually buying more and more equipment without getting divorced just to do the first gig.We have no road crew yet so all the heavy lifting is down to us and you can imagine your arms are like lead weights by the time the show starts.Things we do for love of music.Check us out www.seyes.co.uk.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:49 am 

Quote:
Quote:
As it happens, we have two other basses of Chris's in here right now for some parts replacements.
If I were to have trouble with one of my basses, can I send it back to the factory for repair?

What if your instrument is out of warranty and needs a major repair? Add to this the fact that it is a unique, irreplaceable instrument that I would not trust to the average guitar tech. Do you guys do any non-warranty repair work?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:44 am 

Quote:
Hello there cerrem,
It took me 9 months to find and audition people for SEYES. They are out there believe me.Like any band situation its 10% talent plus 90% getting on with each other.
I was really lucky in that I found a keyboard player with a classical background similar to Wakeman who is also as daft as a brush.Then I got several calls from a guy in Liverpool who wanted to sing but had never fronted a band.I was dubious but eventually got him to come to rehearsal and he had THE VOICE and being a northerner the vocal inflection is the same.
Then it was a year of rehearsal and gradually buying more and more equipment without getting divorced just to do the first gig.We have no road crew yet so all the heavy lifting is down to us and you can imagine your arms are like lead weights by the time the show starts.Things we do for love of music.Check us out www.seyes.co.uk.

Greetings, all. I'm in a recently started Yes Tribute band in Florida, and I have to concur that its quite an undertaking to find the right people and work up the material well enough to pull it off live. We're still looking for a new lead vocalist as our original singer was struggling with the odd time signatures and rhythms. But I'm having a blast playing material I never thought I'd get to play in a band setting.

Just wondering what you do in the *ahem* costume department. I'm seriously thinking of having Chris's Going for the One black and white outfit made up. Also, what do you do for amplification? I've always felt that you have to go with two amps to get Squire's early live tone, one clean bass and one trebly and overdriven.

Any, we're hoping to get out live by early '08. Good luck with your project.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:48 am 

bjlevine, welcome to the forum. Almost all worth while human endeavors require much hard work and a bunch of luck. Sounds like you all have the work side covered... so wishing you good luck! Keep us posted!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Just Basses