Board index » Just Basses

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris Squire's Bass
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 pm 

Quote:
anyone see 4001CS #793 go for $4550 on ebay a few days ago? WOW!
Collectors. I hate them.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:44 pm 

I believe the Donovan bass is real close to my White RM1999 in terms of the serial number. The toaster on that bass is very boomy and far more powerful than the 'shoe, which is very weak in comparison.

I find it hard to believe that Squire did not have treble going through in the "Yes Album". It's just too crunchy on "YIND" for a bass p/u alone...Going on my RM's p/ups sounding...

Waters bass is an interesting one. I've been trying to track it for a couple of years now. He is still using it Summer 68, but by this time it's almost unplayable. Soon after that it's gone. Sold?...or stolen?

Collectors...If ya can't beat 'em....Join 'em....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:51 pm 

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that Squire did not have treble going through in the "Yes Album". It's just too crunchy on "YIND" for a bass p/u alone.
I agree, that's why I was interested in knowing what the current status of his bass is. Is the treble P/U now working or still disconnected.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:18 am 

I think that the H/S pickup is there in the music, it is just not blended in as the dominant p/up on the bass. On my '72 4001LH (soon to be Burgundyglo) it is VERY trebly, bright, what ever term you want to apply---when both p/ups are on and the bridge high-gain backed off about 40-50%....quite similar to the "Yes Album" sound without a doubt.

(edit) Having said that, some say that 'The Yes Album' was recorded with the 21 fretter that Squire is pictured with in the LP artwork, which means you're hearing a high-gain/toaster combination on the recording anyway, not his RM1999...who knows, he probably used both of them on the record...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't say how anything was originally recorded but I can tell you that the pickup is now connected. This way he at least has some options, whereas there were none before for some unknown period of time.

In any case, let's not discount the effect of having brand new RotoSounds for every single gig or recording session. They're incredibly bright sounding for about 18 hours and as they stretch, mellow out considerably.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:03 am 

You can hear the horseshoe on things like Close to the Edge, where he's running that pickup through the Maestro Bass Brassmaster fuzz. When I saw them live a few times back in the 70's he ran each pickup through a separate amp... I believe it was an SVT for the toaster and a Sunn guitar amp for the HS. You could see the Brassmaster on top of the amp.

But he sound is mostly toaster... which to me is the sound of a 4001. :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:07 am 

Quote:
In any case, let's not discount the effect of having brand new RotoSounds for every single gig or recording session. They're incredibly bright sounding for about 18 hours and as they stretch, mellow out considerably.
I completely agree. Furthermore, you can see also on CS Website a picture of the two Marshall Super Bass heads and their settings which are clearly indicated on a scotch tape, for roadies' comfort. The EQ is mostly gained on medium/high frequencies. I made some experiments myself in the past and I do believe that "that" sound comes from the toaster.

Collectors...I would love to join them....

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 pm 

Quote:
I believe it was an SVT for the toaster and a Sunn guitar amp for the HS.
I saw them live on April 1974, and Squire was using a Fender Dual Showman with a 2x15" cabinet. Can't remember if there were other bass amplifiers, but I clearly remember the Dual Showman.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:55 pm 

I always imagined the Squire sound to be the horseshoe through the Marshall half stack and the toaster through a "normal" bass rig. His "normal" rig for the past several years has been an SVT.
It's really strange that the 'shoe was disconnected. I've got a video of the last tour where you can see him flip the toggle switch up for the "walking" bass line on YIND. Maybe just out of habit???

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:08 am 

The Mouradian CS-74 is weird looking but I love the sound ... it is like a cross between a 4003 and a 2030 ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Board index » Just Basses