Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Drop D tuners
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:51 pm 

I'm not sure I'm interested in one of these, but the idea of adding a Dipshot Drop D tuner to a bass is something that crops up in interviews with bass players.

Does anybody have any experience with one of these things on their Rick? (I just know some of you are cringing at the thought)

Some players (Lee Sklar) have suggested that its a better alternative than playing a 5 string. And given that I really love the sound of my 4001, and the possibilty being close to "0" that I'll ever have a 5 string Rick this might be the ticket if I find I need that extra low stuff.

I'd hate to give up my Rick if I was in a musical situation that demanded a 5 string.

Wadda think?

Post subject: Re: Drop D tuners
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:12 pm 

There's a reason why orchestral basses come in 5-string or have extenders, but don't have D-tuners. The ones I've seen are fairly useless - they work by letting the post unwind a set fraction of a turn or they move the ball-end a set distance. Two problems with that: 1) if there's friction at the nut or saddle they won't release the tension like they're supposed to. 2) If you're not using EXACTLY the reccomended string type and guage they won't get you to the proper pitch.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 pm 

I've got a Dipshot on my '75 4001 and am having one put on my '78 4001 this week. Because of the tight space on the neck, I have to press the D tuner all the way back and be conciuos that it is all the way back. If I remember to do that the D and the E stay in perfect tune. I have a Ric 5 string as well, but never could get the low B to sound right. I actually have re-strung it with a high C, so the Dipshot is the only way to play below an E.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:35 pm 

Quote:
There's a reason why orchestral basses come in 5-string or have extenders, but don't have D-tuners. The ones I've seen are fairly useless - they work by letting the post unwind a set fraction of a turn or they move the ball-end a set distance. Two problems with that: 1) if there's friction at the nut or saddle they won't release the tension like they're supposed to. 2) If you're not using EXACTLY the reccomended string type and guage they won't get you to the proper pitch.
Dubhear is EXACTLY correct . . . These devices are based on sound mechanical theories under IDEAL conditions, but can be a real hindrance playing out of tune during a LIVE performance where string tension is gradually released from a binding nut or bridge. I've had basses brought to me where I could not replicate any kind of malfunction after several attempts, but I went to a gig where it was being played where it had to be re-tuned a few times a set . . .

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:36 pm 

Why butcher your Rickenbacker 4003, you would be way better off saving the your money and buy a 5 string bass also.
If you have the patients and can possible wait 18 months to 2 years you can buy a 5 string Rickenbacker 4004cii, but I definatley wouldn't alter your 4003.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, and you don't even have to be a doctor or dentist either.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 am 

Quote:
I have a Ric 5 string as well, but never could get the low B to sound right.
Quote:

What gauge string did you use for the B? I use .130 gauge B strings on all of my 5 string basses. They sound just as good on my 4003S/5 as it does on my other 5 string basses, if not better.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:56 am 

I have a Dipshot on one of my 4004Cii. It’s a Schaller drop-in - no Doctor required. Works well!

Board index » Just Basses