Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Curing 4003 neckdive
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:44 pm 

Hi!

I'm having som slight problems with my rick and i've gone to the local music shop to get them corrected during next week.

So, the output on the E and G strings are really low, and completely beyond me. Can't figure it out. Switched strings and all. But i'm letting them have a look on it.

And last, my neck dives like hell. Maybe the strap, i don't know. The bass just seems unbalanced. My thunderbird has the strap nut in the neck position and has no neckdive to speak of. Can i change the strap nut on my rick to the neck? Will it cure the neckdive, Lemmy has replaced the nut on all his basses and they seem pretty balanced.

Any ideas???

Wh4len

Post subject: Re: Curing 4003 neckdive
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:42 pm 

I suggest buying a Warwick as a second bass.Once you play one of these, you will never complain about the Rick neckdive! (I have both!)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:57 pm 

he he. There's no way i'm buying a warwick... to me they're the most uncomfortable basses ever made. Well, haven't played all types. But on all the ones i've played the necks are horrible and i don't like the sound....

I go with the Rickenbacker 4003 fireglo and the Gibson Thunderbird Studio ^^

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:06 pm 

If you suffer from neckdive that is terminal, I can think of two solutions:

- Replace the tuners with lightweight ones - various makers such as Gotoh make lightweight tuners that should have the right footprint;
- Get one of thse Dipshot replacement bridges - they are meant to weigh a ton and should cure and neck-heaviness quickly.

I've never had this problem - unless I'm just not perceptive enough to have noticed...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:11 pm 

Get a decent strap. I have a wide one made by Levys. My 4003 is so well balanced that I rarely know I have it on. Perfect!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:27 pm 

I have owned a couple dozen 4001/4003/4004 basses and worked on several more and I never seen a single one that had the slightest neck dive ... and a lot of those basses got converted from 4 string to 5 string so they got an extra tuner in the headstock ... the 4000 series instruments seem to be nicely balanced ...

if you want neck dive get a hammer 12 string bass ...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 pm 

Quote:
he he. There's no way i'm buying a warwick... to me they're the most uncomfortable basses ever made. Well, haven't played all types. But on all the ones i've played the necks are horrible and i don't like the sound....

I go with the Rickenbacker 4003 fireglo and the Gibson Thunderbird Studio ^^

Well, there is certainly an "attitude" with them out there! lol! I have a Fretless Corvette, and, it is "different" for playing. I am in pretty good shape and lift weights several times week! It takes "stamina"!! I disagree about the neck and "sound". It has the best low end "growl" (I know, it has become a "cliche" but it's true!) of any bass I have owned.You need to run it through an 18" SW to really appreciate it! I have an "Ultra Low" boost switch on my Ampeg SVT6 Pro that really enhances this aspect! It is the wood I think. Dense stuff! Actually, I got it for $900 new and I like it FAR better than the Deluxe MIA JB I paid $1100 for! I like it! I also like my 4001 and 4004 basses too!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:48 pm 

Quote:
Can i change the strap nut on my rick to the neck? Will it cure the neckdive, Lemmy has replaced the nut on all his basses and they seem pretty balanced.

Any ideas???

Wh4len

Please don't. It would only exacerbate the prob by moving the strap attachment point even further away from the head. I think it would make matters worse. The long body-horn on the bass side helps balance. -possibly a non-slipping strap??

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:35 am 

I agree that a different strap may solve it. I don't think that modifying the bass is going to help this particular issue at all. I haven't had any neck dive problems on either of my Rick basses ever. I did, however, have neck dive problems with an Epi T bird I used to have before I got my 4003.
I also agree that moving the strap knob closer into the body and farther away from the headstock will only exacerbate the problem.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:06 am 

I've never seen any 4001, 4003 or 4004 basses that have had neck dive!

Board index » Just Basses