Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: HELP! restoring a bass
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:40 pm 

I have a rick bass that survived a house fire (mine) that was borrowed from a family member. I am trying to restore it, the wood is intact. The closest i can make it out to be is between the 4000 and model 4003S but the bridge is the same as the 4000 only.
This bass had a white finish, binding on neck and body all around. Headstock is exactly like a 4001S and the neck has the inlaid instead of the dots. The name plate and bridge pickup bar melted so i can order those, but what about the binding? should i curve the wood out or stick to originality? I still have to put binding on the neck either way. I appreciate any insight, i'm a novice!

Post subject: Re: HELP! restoring a bass
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:09 am 

Wow, that's some bad news. First thing I would make sure of is that the neck is still in-line with the body. If it's not, the bass is garbage. If it is, I would strip all the finish off and return it back to what it was. You can order the binding from stew/mac

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:33 am 

Do I understand correctly that you have already stripped the finish from the body? Check to make sure the neck is still attached to the body wings. If the electronics are still in working order, or if you have replaced them, you should be able to get binding from Stewart MacDonald and a suitable finish from Reranch.
Good luck with this project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:15 pm 

Thanks guys, the neck looks straight and in line, i did strip it down becouse of the fire, but the wood is in perfect condition besides a few nicks. This is a 4003 model. I can't get over how many layers of paint and sealant went in to the original design. I would assume that i need to tape off where the trim goes around the body as i get it painted and clear coated so it doesn't build up in the fine groove where the trim fits in. Thanks for any input.

Board index » Just Basses