Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Ric-O-Sound
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:48 am 

I currently own a 2018 4003 and I want to try the Ric-O-Sound feature. I do not play live anymore I just record and play at home. I have three amps and only one cabinet and I was wondering if I could just route both amps into a Audio Interface using two inputs on the Interface......Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Ric-O-Sound
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 am 

What is your audio interface? To get the best results out of Ric-O-Sound, you need two completely discrete channels, whether that be two separate amplifier/speaker systems, two tracks on a recording desk, or two discrete inputs on any other audio device or interface that can record the two outputs separately, to later be used individually or combined as the player desires.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:44 am 

iiipopes wrote:
What is your audio interface? To get the best results out of Ric-O-Sound, you need two completely discrete channels, whether that be two separate amplifier/speaker systems, two tracks on a recording desk, or two discrete inputs on any other audio device or interface that can record the two outputs separately, to later be used individually or combined as the player desires.

I have a Audient id14 which has two Mic/Line inputs.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 pm 

It should work, if you know how to operate analog-to-digital converters. I have no experience with this particular unit.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am 

RedVee wrote:
I currently own a 2018 4003 and I want to try the Ric-O-Sound feature. I do not play live anymore I just record and play at home. I have three amps and only one cabinet and I was wondering if I could just route both amps into a Audio Interface using two inputs on the Interface......Thanks.

I have made successful recordings using the Ric-O-Sound. My audio interface is a Presonus FireStudio, which has eight pre-amped inputs. For a Chris Squire-ish sound, I run the stereo Y cord out of the Ric-O-Sound jack, with the bridge pickup going straight into a channel on the Presonus interface, and the neck pickup going into a SansAmp DI with overdrive, then into another channel on the interface. This way you can EQ, compress, limit, whatever you wish to each pickup separately. Sometimes I'll even pan the channels...neck pickup on the left, bridge on the right, etc...
The great thing about doing this is you have complete control over each pickup and how they will be mixed into the recording.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 pm 

Thanks for that, so the answer is yes I can route it through 2 amps and use the DI out into my interface.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:42 pm 

Well I got my Y cable and ran the neck pup through an Ampeg PF-20T and the bridge pup through a TC Electronic BH250 and loaded a tube drive toneprint. Both amps then ran into line level inputs on my new IK Multimedia Axe I/O Interface and now my 4003 sounds like the dogz bollox. This method really transforms the tone of the Bass in so many ways and although my gigging days are well and truly over, my recordings at home sound sweet using the Ric-O-Sound function........Happy Days!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:26 am 

That's the way to do it! I absolutely love the Rick-O-Sound for that reason.

I also love it for other reasons, like a clean stereo guitar for a natural 3-D surround sound. Or, just switching between pickups with drastically different tones for different songs or parts of songs. I've even changed-out the jacks on my mono Ricks to make them stereo.

Board index » Just Basses