Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Rickenbacker Serial Numbers
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 am 

What are some of the opinions of ebay seller refusing to give the serial numbers of the instruments they are auctioning off. Below is the lengthy response from the seller. I was asked "Why do you wanted the # " and replied, I wanted to check them with Rickenbacker for a counterfeit instrument.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-4 ... 2915576140

Hi there,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I certainly respect your position. You sound like you are a very savvy and careful person. I completely understand. I'm the same. In as much as you are being cautious, I am, as well.I am sure you can understand my reluctance about handing out a serial number of a fine high end instrument like this 4004 Cheyenne Cii Bass. An unscrupulous person could request this serial number with the intent of using it for a counterfeit instrument.

I can assure you this bass is the real deal. I own 12 of them, all of which were purchased and shipped direct from Rickenbacker around the same time. This bass in particular was made during the 46th week of 2008

With all due respect, if I knew you and was 100% certain that you are serious about purchasing the bass I would feel a littler more secure about offering up the serial number. For reasons I mentioned above, this is precisely why 99% of all legitimate instrument sellers do not publish serial numbers online when listing their instruments for sale. Hopefully, you understand.If you have a solution that would make us both feel a little more confident and comfortable, I open to it.

Honestly, I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just in the same position as you, only from a sellers perspective.

Don't hesitate to throw some ideas at me. I would love to get this gorgeous bass shipped to you. You will not be disappointed

You can also view in on the South Florida craigslist. Just log onto craiglist and select South Florida. .

Kindest regards,

Freddy

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Serial Numbers
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:42 am 

Understandable. I have not seen counterfeit 4004 models, so I wouldn't worry about that. Most counterfeit "Rickenbackers" are pretty easy to detect from photos if you know what you're looking for. Simply giving you a serial number or showing a photo of the jackplate is no guarantee of authenticity because the jackplate (or neckplate on certain models) is easily removed and placed on another instrument. I recommend going with other field marks such as the hardware, the quality of the wood, the placement and type of trim, and the finish. There are references out there (hint hint) that will help you become a more savvy buyer.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Serial Numbers
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:53 am 

Well, that is a nice reply from Freddy, the seller. He and his guitar seem to be located in south Florida, yet the link for the guitar leads to a shop in Japan. What’s up with that?

Board index » Just Basses