Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 1974 4001s
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:05 am 

I have a 1974 jetglo 4001s I recently picked up about 6 months ago. I am really concerned about what strings to use since hearing about possible issues with older Ricki bass necks.
Any suggestions ?

BTW...I am a roto sound fan.

Post subject: Re: 1974 4001s
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:42 am 

Nearly every "neck issue" on the "old" Rick basses can be attributed to misuse by the owner or techie who didn't understand how to adjust the old-style "hairpin" truss rods. 1974 production basses featured a three-piece neck with the center shedua strip ("skunk stripe") that made the necks quite strong. Still, some users trying to straighten the neck figured all they had to do was crank on the truss rod adjusting nuts. This often resulted in cracking the neck near the nut or popping the fingerboard from the neck. The proper method is to first loosen the nuts, then manually push/pull the neck to the desired position, then tighten (not too much) the nuts to hold the position.

The trouble with buying a used instrument is that you may be inheriting previous owner's abuse. Your '74 should be able to withstand the tension of just about any string unless there was previous damage as mentioned.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:49 am 

I've been using Roto Sounds on my 74 4001 for about forty years and have
not had a problem. I do have it set up by a professional. Last set up I had done was a couple years ago and I'm on my third set of Roto's since then.
I play on average of once or twice a week and so far it still plays great...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:09 pm 

I have a 74 4001 (I am original owner) and have had EXL170 (D'Addarios) for 30 years give or take... no issues and good sound. Never had Rotos on it but I do use them on my 4004C albeit SM66N a little bit lighter than most but I like how they feel...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:27 pm 

I've been using roundwounds of almost every make on my '68 exclusively since 1992. Fear not. String them up, properly adjust your neck, and go forth and conquer.

Board index » Just Basses