Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: Do you bring a backup bass for your Rick at gigs?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:52 am 

In the twenty-odd years I used my 4002 as my main gig bass, I did not bring a backup. No magic - it was simply because it was the only bass I owned for most of that time. And early on during this period, once I had settled on my favorite strings: GHS Progressives in custom gauges 45-60-80-105, and set the old truss rods according to the traditional instructions, I never had to touch them again until I changed to D'Addario nylon tapewounds, which are lighter overall. I confess that since the market has skyrocketed in the used market for this model, it does not come out as often as it used to. But after some other non-related equipment issues rearing their collective ugly heads recently, perhaps it should.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 pm 

Most of the time I don't bring a second. If it's a particularly timed gig like a festival or tv show I'll bring one, but otherwise no.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:25 am 

I bought a Hofner for my lad to learn on, I use it as a spare in case of a string break if I'm gigging, (flats on both) the Hofner case is so small it works well as a spare. It is huge fun to play though, really good fun!

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:15 am 

I don't bring a backup.

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:59 pm 

I will be bringing one now. :(. I have a 4003 made in January 2015 and the pickup selector switch failed on me last night. Just now, I unscrewed the ring off the switch and wiggled it around and it seems to be fixed but I can't be doing that at shows.

I switched from bridge to neck pickup to begin a song and found no output. Switched back to bridge, the switch made a loud unpleasant crackling sound, then I just about blew everyone's eardrums with the seemingly doubled volume of the bridge pickup.

I love this bass too much to be without it for any period of time, so sending it anywhere for repair is not an option. I'm not a big fan of the switch design overall so I don't even want a replacement. Any suggestions for a different, and perhaps better switch?

Board index » Just Basses