Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Flipping the Push/Pull Pot
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:17 am 

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of getting my first Rickenbacker bass (very excited, by the way). After exploring my options, I have come to the conclusion that the 4003 will be perfect for me. Although I am of a younger generation, I am completely enamored with the sounds of the 60's/70's. One of the features I really like in the new 4003's is that vintage tone circuit, which can be activated when the treble tone knob is pulled out. However, I'd like that to be my "go-to" sound. Which brings me to my question: would it be possible to mod the controls so that the vintage tone circuit is on when the pot is pushed in, and off when it is pulled out (basically the opposite of what it is regularly)?

Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Flipping the Push/Pull Pot
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 pm 

The current RIC switch/potentiometer is a SPST, meaning simple in-out, so no, you can't do it with the current switch. If you can find a DPDT switch with the short switch body that RIC used to offer, then yes, the capacitor can be wired "backwards" so the cap is in the circuit with the switch down and out when the switch is pulled up. That's how my 5th knob guitar modification works on my old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7928

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 pm 

I fitted the old, larger push pull switch to my 4001 and it worked no problem, no routing was necessary either.

So the previously posting was correct, you can't rewire it, but you could change the switch and do the mod.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:16 am 

Hmmmm....It seems to me that if you remove the .0047 cap from where it is in the circuit and replace it with a piece of wire..then replace either of the wires going to the two lugs on the new push-pull pot with the newly removed .0047 cap, it would do what you want.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

aceonbass wrote:
Hmmmm....It seems to me that if you remove the .0047 cap from where it is in the circuit and replace it with a piece of wire..then replace either of the wires going to the two lugs on the new push-pull pot with the newly removed .0047 cap, it would do what you want.

Nope. The cap has to be in line, that is serial in the circuit. If connected as you say, absolutely nothing would happen when you flip the switch.

That is the one advantage to the older style control- it had double-pole, double-throw contacts.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 am 

I wasn't really sure, but I had a feeling this might be the case. I currently use a Bourns push pull similar to the old Alpha pot, but with the correct size 3/8" bushing. Why did RIC stop using the old style pot? It was so versatile, and could be used to do a lot of cool things.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It just didn't have a life cycle rating that matched up with the rest of the pots and circuitry. The new part is so much more durable. However, I can see that having double throw action would make it more useful; I'm going to see if there's any chance we can add a contact the next time we run these.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 pm 

8-) 8-) 8-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:56 am 

JohnHall wrote:
It just didn't have a life cycle rating that matched up with the rest of the pots and circuitry. The new part is so much more durable. However, I can see that having double throw action would make it more useful; I'm going to see if there's any chance we can add a contact the next time we run these.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 pm 

Hi again,

Thanks for all your replies, sorry it took so long to get back here, but all this information has been very helpful. Was the original Push/Pull Pot installed in the first 4003's that featured them? When was the new pot introduced? I'm looking into a few Rick's, one is a 2008 Jetglo, so maybe that might have it?

JohnHall wrote:

That would be very cool! I'm sorry I missed you commenting on this. Thank you for considering this!

Board index » Just Basses