Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: 4001c64 problems
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 am 

PureRocker wrote:
I especially like the caption about not knowing what the fuss was about. The expression on the face of the cat totally says, "What's the big deal??". How did you get him/her to pose like that? :lol:

Well actually, I think that was just as I grabbed one of my Ricks to practice with and Cheyenne had just woken up thought to herself, how loud are you gonna play your music?! :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:02 am 

In the real world, if someone pays between $2200 and $3000 for a hand made USA super bass, there should be NO tail lift, or defects that should be "OK" and just deal with it. These basses are not perfect, (I own 3) and they do have their issues. One thing for sure, you should be able to achieve the lowest action possible, if this is what your playing style requires, with NO fret buzz. Not an easy thing for the C64, flats eliminate the buzz and get the action closer than rounds. Tail lift is not acceptable in my opinion. IF the metal used in the bridge was stronger, would this occur at all? There must be a way to strengthen the bridge composition to ensure no lift at all. Other companies do not seem to have a problem with this. What is the real solution? :?:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am 

eddied wrote:
In the real world, if someone pays between $2200 and $3000 for a hand made USA super bass, there should be NO tail lift, or defects that should be "OK" and just deal with it. These basses are not perfect, (I own 3) and they do have their issues. One thing for sure, you should be able to achieve the lowest action possible, if this is what your playing style requires, with NO fret buzz. Not an easy thing for the C64, flats eliminate the buzz and get the action closer than rounds. Tail lift is not acceptable in my opinion. IF the metal used in the bridge was stronger, would this occur at all? There must be a way to strengthen the bridge composition to ensure no lift at all. Other companies do not seem to have a problem with this. What is the real solution? :?:

You do realize that the 4001C64 was a "warts and all" reissue, right? It's a snapshot in time of a product that continued to develope over time. If you don't like the 4001C64 as is, buy a 4003 and drop a toaster and RIHS in it. That'll give you a similar sound with all the refinements of a modern bass, and you'll save some coin, too.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:03 am 

coolingitdown wrote:
You do realize that the 4001C64 was a "warts and all" reissue, right? It's a snapshot in time of a product that continued to develope over time. If you don't like the 4001C64 as is, buy a 4003 and drop a toaster and RIHS in it. That'll give you a similar sound with all the refinements of a modern bass, and you'll save some coin, too.

Well... RIC surely went for an improved truss rod system in the c64 over the original 4001!

So the snapshot in time argument is only partly valid. Not that the tail lift ever bothered me on the 4 Rickies I got over the years. The dead E on my 76 4001 bothered me much more! But not enough not to buy 3 more Ricks after I sold after giving up trying to cure the issue.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm 

Colonel Sanders wrote:
coolingitdown wrote:

Well... RIC surely went for an improved truss rod system in the c64 over the original 4001!

So the snapshot in time argument is only partly valid. Not that the tail lift ever bothered me on the 4 Rickies I got over the years. The dead E on my 76 4001 bothered me much more! But not enough not to buy 3 more Ricks after I sold after giving up trying to cure the issue.

Re: truss rods. True...thankfully.

I still stand by the warts-and-all argument as it counters several of the initial points brought up by eddied.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 am 

Hi friends,

I think,that I'm the new owner,of this C64.
The pre owner told me same story.This C64 is from 2010,has taillift and he installed a 5 hole aftermarked bridge.
I think it must be the same Bass.

Today it was shipped to me and I hope I will receive it on wednesday or thursday.
I would prefer to install the original bridge.
In case of that the original bridge really make problems....is there anything that I can do,to solve the problem ? Maybe to bend it rightly...or do I have to drill the two other holes at the end ?
I'd really love to have this Rick in original condition.

But now first I have to wait until it arrives ;-) ......Michael

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:18 am 

The trouble may be because the original tailpiece that came stock on the C64 (and not on the C64S) is mounted with just three screws underneath the bridge insert. This tailpiece made the bass look "more vintage" but doesn't have the additional two screws of the stock tailpiece. If you can deal with looking at two additional screw heads, you could just get a stock 4003 tailpiece and two more mounting screws.

Post Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:00 am 

Hi Paul,

thank you.
The pre owner has allready installed a new 5 hole bridge.
But the original 3 hole bridge is included and should lie in the case.

And I would prefer the original bridge.
So as soon as it arrives I will install the original bridge at once and look what will happen.

And my question was: If one of the previous owners has bent the part, due to excessive tension, could it be straightened?

Unfortunately I couldn't seen the pics of the older bridge,because this thread is to old.So I must wait and see what will happen,when the Rick arrives .
I only hope,that the original bridge will work........Michael

Post Posted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:24 pm 

Today I received that C64...And man I must say this one is a really nice one .And it's nearly in mint condition.
I'm so in love with it.
I took it to the bandroom this evening and it sounds great.
String action and neck setup is perfect.I couldn't do not better.

But first thing I'll do tomorrow is to remove that anoying zero mod thumb rest.
The pre owner put on LaBella flats and the 3rd cap was removed.
As a big friend of the 3rd cap I don't know now if I should reinstall it or not.
At this time it sounds pretty good to me with flats.

By the way....Do anybody know if Macca use the 3rd cap in his Rick or not ?

Because of the tailpiece.....the setup is very good at this time.So I'm thinking of to swap the original 3 hole tailpiece maybe at the next time,when I have to make a new setup or change the strings.

Board index » Just Basses