Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: Re: 4003 Blue Boy - Minty Green No More!!
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 am 

I agree Bob. Mine seems to yellowed in the same places. I feel pretty confident that it was the case also now. However I did not remove the pick up. (dont really feel the need to)But thanks for the tip Blue Angel :) Mine has not gotten any worse and it is not kept in the case. It is kept in an All Access guitar showcase protected from UV light and temp and humidity controlled. Interesting I wonder what Ric would have to say about this. What did you use to buff yours out. I dont think I would undertake that painstaking task but I was just curious what you used to restore yours. All the Best.......Rich C

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:00 am 

Quote:
It is kept in an All Access guitar showcase

Sorry my mistake. It is an Access N Sight guitar showcase. Oops. Cheers

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm 

Hi Rich

It wasn't that difficult & the results are really worth it.
Just cotton cloth & a bit of spit did it (diapers I think you call them - Paul "Jingle Jangle" gave me the tip).

Must be pure cotton - nothing abrasive or you could damage the finish.

I did the bulk of it in around three hours, then went back & did the difficult bits around the pick guard, bridge etc.

Looks just like the day I bought it now :-)

Bob

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm 

I refinished my 1989 RIC 230 in Blue Boy, with Paul W's recommendations as far as paint, and I have had no issues with it changing hue. It still looks Blue Boy thankfully. :)

Greg

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm 

Quote:
I refinished my 1989 RIC 230 in Blue Boy, with Paul W's recommendations as far as paint, and I have had no issues with it changing hue. It still looks Blue Boy thankfully. :)

Greg

Post some pictures!!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 pm 

this can happen to jetglo, too...

http://cgi.ebay.de/1993er-Rickenbacker- ... 335ec24f5e

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 am 

I have a 4004L Blueboy that sits in it's case 98% of the time as it is primarily a backup bass. I've had it since 2006 when I bought it from Pick of the Ricks. It's still the same exact color as when I bought it. What am I doing wrong?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:50 pm 

Is this issue still on the go??

Again, and for the record: my 2005 Blue Boy spent all the time I owned it on a stand in a room without fluoros or in direct sunlight and it still managed to go mint green with streaks of yellow in it.

I had to flog it; I could not live with the finish on a brand new guitar doing that!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:20 pm 

Regarding the Blueboy finish subtly fading, it seems "yellowing" would be more accurate.

I just purchased (conditionally) a 2004 case-queen 620 VP in Blueboy finish which has only been out of its case for pictures, but nonetheless shows subtle "yellowing" to the finish all over, most pronounced on the heel and the back edge of the 600 series "wave." So much for the "sunlight exposure" theory... I think my guitar's experience adds credence to the alternative theory that it's a plush case interior/guitar finish interaction which causes the change, not ultraviolet exposure.

I've long loved Fender's surf green finish, and that's pretty much what I've got with this guitar, so that's cool. But, I'm also wanting a bit more input about the posts about rubbing the finish down with "a soft, non-abrasive cloth" and how this removes the subtle yellowing. I assume no solutions or solvents of any kind were used, else "Bob" wold have mentioned that... Can you see the yellowing coming off on the cloth, or is it only evident on the guitar itself after hours of rubbing?

Any meaningful input would be appreciated...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:46 pm 

I just received a 2005 350v63 BB that is mint green as well, with plenty of yellowing on the back and back of the neck. I also own a 2004 660/12 BB that has never had any issues and is still a gorgeous blue, so I have something to compare to. My 2004 has been out of it's case for long periods of time, though never in direct sunlight. Anyway, I am going to consider my options and see what solutions have been found over the years. If Mr. Hall has any suggestions to offer, that be most welcome! :mrgreen:

Board index » Just Basses