Board index » Just Basses

Post subject: 4003 Blue Boy - Minty Green No More!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 am 

Having read many threads on the subject of the Blue Boy finish going a minty green, I was resigned to the fact that mine had gone a minty green & that was that. Then I read that if you work hard & slow with a soft non-abrasive cloth (cotton nappies are what Paul recommends) then it will buff up & you can restore it to its original (gorgeous) Blue Boy finish!

Well I set about mine & patiently worked away at 1" squares, & lo, I could see the transformation. Four hours (& a stiff shoulder) later, my bass is as good as new!!!

Bob

Post subject: Re: 4003 Blue Boy - Minty Green No More!!
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 am 

Interesting to know that the yellowing apparently occurs in just the very top layer of the CV...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 am 

The question is, will it just go the same way again now the next layer down is exposed to light...? I would assume it will, since the chemistry of the CV coat will be the same all the way through.

Not being a pessimist, just a realist.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 am 

Quote:
The question is, will it just go the same way again now the next layer down is exposed to light...? I would assume it will, since the chemistry of the CV coat will be the same all the way through.

Not being a pessimist, just a realist.

Is it exposure to light? That's what I was led to believe, but one contributor on this forum swears blind his Blue Boy spent >90% of its time in the case!! Mine is hung on the wall of my studio (next to my 4003 Jetglo and 4003FL Blue Burst, neither of which show ANY yellowing). When I'm not practicing or recording my studio is in complete darkness.
However, my Blue Boy did spend around 3 months in its case & I'm sure that is when the yellowing took place!

I'll keep you all posted on it's progress!

Cheers

Bob

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:15 am 

Quote:
However, my Blue Boy did spend around 3 months in its case & I'm sure that is when the yellowing took place!
I did think it was light exposure, but maybe it's outgassing from the case lining glues... if so, it may not do it again if the solvents are all gone. Or if you don't keep it in the case :-).

An interesting idea. I have a purple PRS from '97 that's faded to a deep pink (which is actually beautiful, I wouldn't want it back to original) and which I bought in late 2000, already faded and without even knowing it was originally purple, until I took off one of the knobs! So that happened in only three years. But I swapped the rotary knob for a toggle switch, and in the following seven years the dark ring around the switch where the knob used to be has *not* faded to match the rest of the top... it's lightened a bit, but not as far as the rest did in less than half the time - and I have left it out of the case a lot. Which leads me to wonder if it is purely due to light fading, too... (and apparently, only this particular run of purple from '97 and '98 does it.)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 am 

I recall reading several different owner accounts of the "Blue Boy to Minty Green" color transition and it has happened when the guitar was subjected to light or left in the case most of the time. The clearcoat yellowing appears to happen either way.

Since you've been able to go from "Minty Green back to Blue Boy," time will tell what color changes will occur.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 am 

I wonder if the cases that were used to ship the BlueBoy instruments were anything like the 2009 cases that lacked an anti-fungal compound, causing my Mapleglo to develop a "green rash" that came off in five minutes of buffing. It hasn't come back.

I'm more inclined to believe the case and not light is to blame for stuff like this, based on the anecdotal evidence about it.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 am 

Wow very interesting. I have a blue boy 4003 with vintage pick ups that came right out of the box from the factory that looks almost sea green. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. It definitely has that yellowing that turned the finish to a different color. The bass played so well and sounded so great that I couldn't return it. I even think it looks pretty hot the way it is.I wonder if it had something to do with the case now that, that was mentioned. I always thought that someone just messed up at the factory. LOL Anyway it's a keeper that I'll never part with. Cheers

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 pm 

I was trying to think of a way of telling if it's light or case gasses... I think I have.

Take the bridge pickup out and see if there's any yellowing in the cavity. The cavity is totally shielded from light even when the bass is out of the case, but (at least partially) open to the air. So if there's any yellowing at all - even if less than on the rest of the body - it's gas and not light.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:10 pm 

I'm now convinced it is the case. The worst areas of yellowing is where there is firm contact (the rear of the body, in particular the base of the neck) and the rear of the neck at the nut. There is also discoloration (albeit less so) in the bridge pick-up cavity.

Bob

Board index » Just Basses