Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:08 pm 

I used to have a Marshall closed back 2x12 cab with 30s in it. I wanted to try to scale down my rig, but it changed the sound of my Hiwatt. Not a bad sound, just not what I was looking for. It's good to hear that someone is getting great results with that setup.

I had an old Randall 2x12 with the speaxers mounted diagonally that fit the head perfectly.That thing sounded great.They both were closed back, and were night and day.
The 450/12FG I had at the time sung like a bird through it. Had to dump it due to financial reasons, and have been looking for one ever since.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:48 pm 

Quote:
I used to have a Marshall closed back 2x12 cab with 30s in it. I wanted to try to scale down my rig, but it changed the sound of my Hiwatt. Not a bad sound, just not what I was looking for. It's good to hear that someone is getting great results with that setup.

I had an old Randall 2x12 with the speaxers mounted diagonally that fit the head perfectly.That thing sounded great.They both were closed back, and were night and day.
The 2x12" HW cab is like that Randall - it's like a small angled 4x12" with the speakers mounted diagonally. The Hiwatt head is a perfect fit on the top of it too!

I would assume that the old cab you had was a 1936 (and the older shallow size too, if it had 30s and they were the original speakers), and I agree they sound very different. The HW does sound much more like a 4x12", the 1936 sounds more like a combo, even though it has a closed back.

It's interesting how much of a difference speakers and cabinets make, and yet how little they are talked about in the 'tone equation' usually...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 pm 

Quote:
BTW, I'm a fan of the "standard" Rat. I've never tried the "Original" one and I'm not sure how they differ. A friend of mine had the Turbo Rat and it was a little too over the top for my liking.

As for my Hiwatts, they're both 50 watters. One is a Bulldog combo with a Fane and the other is a head with the 4x12 bottom and Fanes. I use the combo for smaller gigs but I prefer the 4x12 as the closed back delivers more bottom end and punch. Yes, to get the sweet spot you've got to push them, but I set them up with the masters up high and pre down low to get a nice clean sound then let the Rat to the rest of the work. It's warmth really seems to do the trick for me.

Also note I have 12k toasters in the bridges of my 6 string Rics with the 0.0047 cap, and the solids have Ric HB's in the neck (with toaster covers on them), which I dial in the HB to my liking.

It may sound wierd, but to my ears it's a blend of multiple tones. Think something like Cheap Trick meets The Smithereens, yet it still works well as a bit of a heavier REM and Who. And maybe a little Jam and Husker Du/Sugar in there too.

I know I've posted them before, but if you'd like, here's some live samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHIZSjby ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti3y12M5 ... re=related

Niice!! I haven't seen a 480 in over 18 years! I can tell you have the 12K toaster in the bridge position, and the Ric 'bucker in the neck position - it sounds a lot beefier than the one 480 I tried out back in 1990 (which had the standard 7.5K toasters in it). BTW, is that a '63 Dano reissue I saw in the background? Danos are cool guitars too. Along with my Jetglo 360, I have Dano Hodad myself.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:26 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

The 2x12" HW cab is like that Randall - it's like a small angled 4x12" with the speakers mounted diagonally. The Hiwatt head is a perfect fit on the top of it too!

I would assume that the old cab you had was a 1936 (and the older shallow size too, if it had 30s and they were the original speakers), and I agree they sound very different. The HW does sound much more like a 4x12", the 1936 sounds more like a combo, even though it has a closed back.

It's interesting how much of a difference speakers and cabinets make, and yet how little they are talked about in the 'tone equation' usually...

I played in a band, where the other guitar player used a Marshall diagaonal 2x12 cab like the Randall mentioned above (similar to but not quite the same as the 2061 cab). It was good sounding cab, but I always thought it was little clunky carryingwise. Me, I prefer to stick to the 2x12 cabs in the style of the Marshall 1936 cabs, cue to their being more portable.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 pm 

Quote:
I played in a band, where the other guitar player used a Marshall diagaonal 2x12 cab like the Randall mentioned above (similar to but not quite the same as the 2061 cab). It was good sounding cab, but I always thought it was little clunky carryingwise.
Was that one of the 80s 1966 cabs, or a Jubilee mini-stack cab? They had those awful plastic slot handles that make carrying them a real pain... the new HW cab has the proper large metal crossbar handles. It's actually light enough to pick up sideways by one handle too, if you need to - you can't do that with the slot handles as there's nothing to grip.

Quote:
Me, I prefer to stick to the 2x12 cabs in the style of the Marshall 1936 cabs, cue to their being more portable.
I agree if you mean the old shallow ones with the top handle - but the newer 1936s with only end handles are a pain too, as they're just a bit too wide to pick up on your own unless you've got arms like a gorilla, and also a bit too long to easily carry by one handle if you're short (like me!).

I prefer my Mesa Trem-o-verb 2x12" combo, even if it does weigh 100lbs - it's got both a top handle, really good end handles, and decent wheels - and it's only one thing to move not two... but I do admit going upstairs with it isn't too much fun!

Sometimes the 'tone recipe' has to include practical stuff like this as well, unfortunately :-).

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 am 

Quote:
Niice!! I haven't seen a 480 in over 18 years! I can tell you have the 12K toaster in the bridge position, and the Ric 'bucker in the neck position - it sounds a lot beefier than the one 480 I tried out back in 1990 (which had the standard 7.5K toasters in it). BTW, is that a '63 Dano reissue I saw in the background? Danos are cool guitars too. Along with my Jetglo 360, I have Dano Hodad myself.

Thanks! Yes, the HB definitely adds some extra beef and sustain while the 12K gives the aggressive jangle. I've set up my 620 the same way. The 620 sounds a little more mid-rangy and has even more sustain, probably due to the neck through the body versus the 480's bolt on. I'm sure the eletronics have something to do with it too since their caps and pots are original (except for the addition of the 0.0047 cap).

In the background is my Sivertone amp-in-case 1457, which was made by Danelectro back in the '60's. I love the sound of that thing. If I wasn't such a big Ric fan, it would probably be my main guitar and I'd try to find a 1449 all black as its companion. It gets nasty-cool when driven with the Rat. Unfortunately I don't have the amp case, and they're (both the guitars and amp cases) getting a bit pricy on the 'bay.

WhoJamFan also mentioned earlier the Roland Jazz 120 combo. I knew a guy that had that amp with a 360 that did pop music. It sounded great.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 am 

I'm surprised no one yet has mentioned the Ampeg Reverbrocket 212R. Big fat 50 watt all tube sound. Has a clean channel that really sounds nice with my 360-12. I went in with a different amp in mind ( Crate 50 watt all tube blues something) but tried the ReverbRocket reissue because I remembered them from when I was a kid. Wowie!
The reissue adds an overdrive channel in place of the tremolo that the original had. I haven't used the overdrive channel with the Rick. Now I'll have to go try it.

Oh yea, I have a junglebox.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:04 am 

I am playing my 330x12 through a Reslo class A 15watt amp head from 62, a wem 1x12 cab from late 60's a Guyatone driving box compressor, Dod orange 280 compressor,Wobo buffer, Crybaby Wah modified, Ross distortion (brown one),Guyatone Phase Sonix Rolly box phaser,Dod FX40 graphicthen a Luce splitter pedal out to a Wem ic400 copicat tape delay... Sounds unearthly to me !!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I played in a band, where the other guitar player used a Marshall diagonal 2x12 cab like the Randall mentioned above (similar to but not quite the same as the 2061 cab). It was good sounding cab, but I always thought it was little clunky carryingwise.
Was that one of the 80s 1966 cabs, or a Jubilee mini-stack cab? They had those awful plastic slot handles that make carrying them a real pain... the new HW cab has the proper large metal crossbar handles. It's actually light enough to pick up sideways by one handle too, if you need to - you can't do that with the slot handles as there's nothing to grip.

Quote:
Me, I prefer to stick to the 2x12 cabs in the style of the Marshall 1936 cabs, due to their being more portable.
I agree if you mean the old shallow ones with the top handle - but the newer 1936s with only end handles are a pain too, as they're just a bit too wide to pick up on your own unless you've got arms like a gorilla, and also a bit too long to easily carry by one handle if you're short (like me!).

I prefer my Mesa Trem-o-verb 2x12" combo, even if it does weigh 100lbs - it's got both a top handle, really good end handles, and decent wheels - and it's only one thing to move not two... but I do admit going upstairs with it isn't too much fun!

Sometimes the 'tone recipe' has to include practical stuff like this as well, unfortunately :-).

Yeah Blue Angel, I think it was one of those 1966 cabs. In general, while I thought it sounded good, it seemed to be of mediocre build quality at best. And yes, I prefer the old school 1936s with the top handles (I aint's gots the gorilla arms for carrying the new-style ones! ;) I'm sort of looking into an Avatar 2x12 bottom to go with my Bassman head. I like 2x12 combos, but they're such a bear weightwise to carry!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 pm 

Wow! I just got around to using my Tube Works Real Tube Overdrive with my 620 through my Vox AC15. What an amazing sound! Just incredible. I don't know why I waited so long to try it out. Lately, I've just plugged straight into the amp, but not any longer! Great sound using any combination of pickups and overdrive. After plugging it in, I played along with the Clash's first album. It sounded awesome. Anyone who says that you can't play lead guitar on a Rick doesn't know what he or she is talking about! I was getting some very happening sounds, probably because of the solid body design of the 620. Much greater difference from my Model 1997 reissue than I would have thought. I have a DigiTech GNX3, but it sounds way too "effect-y" (if that's even a word). The tube overdrive sounds just incredible!

Does anyone else have one of the Real Tube pedals? I don't think they even make them anymore. I think they also made a similar pedal called a Blue Tube.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars