Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your tone recipe
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
...like my old 100W Valvestate
Haha, I really think we were twins in a former life! I actually really like the older 100W Valvestates (the original 8100, and the VS100R) - they sound very good for such a cheap amp. I've played through dozens of them in practice rooms and even a few at supplied-backline gigs, and never had trouble getting decent tones from them. They don't quite hold it together at really high volume compared to a tube amp, but not bad considering how small and light they are. The best is the first version of the VS100R combo with the Celestion speaker, or one of the heads. I've very nearly bought one several times, but the build quality puts me off... even though they sound good I've just repaired too many of them.

Once I posted a sound clip of a VS65R on another music gear website and asked for guesses as to what it was... the answers ranged from an EL34 Marshall to a Rivera and a Bogner :-).

Unfortunatley you're quite right Blue Angel. The Valvestates are kind of physically flimsy. Mine was a 1999, Valvestate 100, with 2, 12" speakers in it. I took the Crate to a jam session earlier tonight. I had a blast with my 360. One of the guys who showed up was absolutly in love with my 360 (he had a 620 or a 450 years ago), and looked kind of bummed out, when he gave it back to me. It looks like I'm going to have to pull the Crate apart, and resolder some joints - it started cutting out after sustained playing at volume. It would cut back in if you replugged in the cable, so more than likely the solder joints for the jacks, are working loose on the PC Board.

Gary (one of the guys I jammed with - he has a great sounding Rivera Knucklehead he runs through a Mesa Boogie, 2x12 bottom), brought up a very intriguing point to me. Since I have an electronics background (courtesy of a ham radio license, electronics classes at the University of Wisconsin for my engineering degree, and experience with restoring radios, and building radios from kits), I should look into building one of the kit guitar amps, to not only get a good tube amp, but save myself money in the process. It might be worth it for me to do so.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:29 pm 

Quote:
It looks like I'm going to have to pull the Crate apart, and resolder some joints - it started cutting out after sustained playing at volume. It would cut back in if you replugged in the cable, so more than likely the solder joints for the jacks, are working loose on the PC Board.

Since I have an electronics background (courtesy of a ham radio license, electronics classes at the University of Wisconsin for my engineering degree, and experience with restoring radios, and building radios from kits), I should look into building one of the kit guitar amps, to not only get a good tube amp, but save myself money in the process. It might be worth it for me to do so.
It might also be worth it to think about repairing tube amps for a job! There are few enough of us that know how to do it right... and there's reasonable money in it if you don't expect to get rich quick. You sound like you're not afraid to work on modern PCB amps either - a lot of old-school techs don't like to because they take more time and effort to dismantle, but once you get used to the concept, they're really no harder than PTP amps. And of course these are the majority of amps that need work now.

You might also be interested to know that I work for a guitar repair shop which is owned by two women luthiers - very rare! It's very much a male-only world normally, but it shouldn't be.

And you're right, you can get some pretty nice kit amps, although most of them are in the lower-powered, single-channel class - which might be quite nice as a contrast to the Crate. A Ricky sounds really great through a cranked-up Tweed Deluxe... more Neil Young than George Harrison!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:21 pm 

Quote:
It might also be worth it to think about repairing tube amps for a job! There are few enough of us that know how to do it right... and there's reasonable money in it if you don't expect to get rich quick. You sound like you're not afraid to work on modern PCB amps either - a lot of old-school techs don't like to because they take more time and effort to dismantle, but once you get used to the concept, they're really no harder than PTP amps. And of course these are the majority of amps that need work now.

You might also be interested to know that I work for a guitar repair shop which is owned by two women luthiers - very rare! It's very much a male-only world normally, but it shouldn't be.

And you're right, you can get some pretty nice kit amps, although most of them are in the lower-powered, single-channel class - which might be quite nice as a contrast to the Crate. A Ricky sounds really great through a cranked-up Tweed Deluxe... more Neil Young than George Harrison!

I have a pretty decent job as a Quality Engineer, and Quality Department supervisor at the present time (I'm just broke, because, I'm still paying off tons of bills from some economic hard times I suffered a few years ago). But, I could see repairing amps as a sideline for me. It might be fun to do. PC boards are no big deal tow work with for me, especially if the components are through hole. Surface mount components though, are a real pain to work on.

Building an amp from a kit, besides saving me money, would be a fun wintertime project for me (as of today, winter is basically here, we have 15 cm of snow on the ground [with another 3 to 9 forecasted for tonight], and the balmy temeperature of -10C!). I've already found links to several amp kit suppliers on a website for kitbuilt and homebrew (an electronics term meaning built from scratch):

http://www.diyguitaramp.com/index.html

I've already posted a thread on the Harmony Central Guitar Amps forum, asking for feedback/recommended kit amp suppliers. Hopefully I won't get too many of the "get a Splawn" types responding. It's no big deal to me if it's only a single channel design (although I've already found at least one amp kit that is two channel switchable - complete with separate EQs for each channel). In my 30 years of playing, I've had plenty of single channel amps, and don't mind turning down the guitar's volume to clean up the sound. My last decent amp (an Orange Tiny Terror I had to sell in October to help pay for some dental work ), was a single channel amp. Powerwise - I'd actually prefer no more than 50W, and would be quite happy with 15-30W in a head or combo. After all, how often do you really run an amp at full throttle? Even in gig situations with 50W amps, I've usually had to keep the master volume between 5 & 7 at the maximum, so I didn't blow everybody else on stage away. Yeah, a higher wattage amp has more clean headroom, so what? My only criteria as of the present for this amp kit, is that it should be for a high gain design (yeah, I know, I could use a stomp box to get extra crunch, but I'd prefer to have it come from the amp - besides, it makes for one less stomp box to deal with), and not more than 50W (with 15-30W being preferrable) of power output.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 am 

I'm currently going into a 1959 Fender Deluxe. But going straight in gives me way too much midrange so I buffer my signal with a Danelectro Fish&Cips 7 band eq. I use a ProCo Rat for heavy distortion and a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive for some hair. Jay

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:58 am 

Just Rics right into a 50 watt Hiwatt half stack and a Rat distortion as needed.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:11 am 

I love some of the setups being used for playing dirty stuff with Rics. VERY Cool!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 pm 

I like to run my FG 360-12 through the "JB" compressor (set to bright, of course, with each knob of said pedal about noon). Then it goes into my Rickenbacker TR-75 amp for amazingly clean bright jangle, but with with depth and air. Even though that Rick amp is solid state, it sounds really sweet (more like a Roland Jazz Chorus than a tweed or modern gain-staged amp). I do not enjoy the distortion on the Rick amp, however.

In a pinch, its amazing how good going straight into the board via the aforementioned "pedal which must not be named" sounds, with just a little boost of EQ at 1k.

For a little overdrive, I insert the AC Booster pedal after the compressor. If I want to get REALLY nasty, I will break out the EH Holy Stain.

For creative fun, nothing beats using Rick-O-Sound for driving two amps with two very different sounds...just coolness.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 am 

I have got three different ways to get my sound:

1.) 650AVH or 325V59 through a VOXAC30CC1 with a BOSS Gigadelay and MXR phaser in the effects loop, a Marshall Jackhammer in front of the normal channel and a switch to chose between the normal and top boost channels. This is THE sound for me ;-) ...

2.) 650AVH or 325V59 through a first generation Hughes and Kettner Tubeman straight into the recording desk.

3.) 650AVH or 325V59 through a Roland Micro Cube. I was always very sceptical about modelling amps before I got this one. And I have written much about my bad experience with the Line6 and VOX modelling amps in this forum, but this little Roland amp is really amazing for practicing. And the "Brit Combo" really sounds like an AC30, believe it or not.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:16 am 

Howdy,

Recently a co-worker presented me with a gift: A 1966 Sears Silvertone 1482 amp! This amp's design is similar to a 50s tweed Deluxe at 15 watts, with a 12-inch speaker and trem. It's being repaired as we speak; seems that the tubes will glow, but no sound. I'm trying to wait patiently..
I can't wait to plug my MG 360/6 into that rascal, turn it up and wail away. I'll post a review in one week. I hope to use this amp to perform "Run Rudolph, Run" at our school Christmas program. (I'm one of the Little Kids Rock teachers.)

Eggman

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:30 pm 

My early 90's Mesa/Boogie Subway Blues and early 80's Fender Super Champ get their fair share of playing time. They both work well with my early 80's Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer and mid-80's Roger Mayer Fuzz Face Classic. These two simple chains are what I'm playing through right now:

Ric >>> J-Box >>> English version VOX AC15 TBR (with Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog)
Ric >>> Cesar Diaz Texas Ranger (treble boost/gain) >>> Rivera Sedona 55

Play on, pick often, jam with Toast(ers)® when possible, and prosper. Keep on keepin' on.....Goofyfoot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars