Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Distortion pedals?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:17 am 

I use a Ric 620 thru a 70's silverface twin reverb and re-issue super amp. Right now I'm using a big muff and it's just too heavy for my band. I've used some boss pedals, which were just a bit too tin-y. Anyone have suggestions for a great distortion?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/ ... backer.jpg

Post subject: Re: Distortion pedals?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:22 am 

Three letters....MXR
the MXR distortion plus is awsome. you can have a little overdrive, or alot of distortion. the tone control gives a wide range of sound, plus they are not too expensive.
I'm from Queens, I have a band called FLASH GORDO,
what's your bands name? website? myspace?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:22 am 

I can't speak to how it sounds with the 620, but with my 360 Ricks I love the way the Crowther Hot Cake sounds. It's more of an overdrive than a distortion pedal, but has a huge tonal range to get distorted tones. Sometimes I roll back the drive knob and use it as a volume boost. I also like the Fulltone OCD pedal. It has a toggle switch that gets vintage Fender amp tones, as well as classic Marshall sounds. Both pedals are a great match with my guitars.

http://www.myspace.com/faintinggoats

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:52 am 

I have the 620 and use the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (which has three seperate settings for overdrive and also has a boost switch as well). If this isn't enough distortion, you may want to try the OCD by Fulltone (mentioned above).

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:48 am 

my band is www.myspace.com/thekittensnyc
terrible recordings but they get the point across. those are with the big muff pedal.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:18 am 

If you can find one. . .

The WayHuge Foot Pig is an amazing pedal.

Ted

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:15 am 

I have recently tried a lot of distortion pedals to use with my RICs and an AC30. I had posted a thread concerning this search here, too. I tried the VOX Cooltron pedals, Hughes & Kettner Tubeman and Tube Factor, MXR distortion plus, Ibanez Tubescreamer, various BOSS pedals, Marshall Bluesbreaker and Jackhammer.

Finally I bought the Marshall Jackhammer and I am very happy with it because it sounds great and is very versatile.

The VOX Cooltron pedals were a huge disappointment. A lot of money for sounds that you can easily get with a simple BOSS OD-2 or something like that. I was also disappointed by the Hughes and Kettner pedals. My old Tubeman (first generation) sounds far better than the current ones, but it sounds better when plugged directly into a mixer. It does not sound as good when plugged into a guitar amp. Worst of all was the Ibanez Tubescreamer. I do not know what people like about it. Probably it is the "Les Paul and Mesa Boogie" kind of guitar player who uses it. I do not know.

I liked the MXR, but with the AC30 the sound was to shrill to my ears. (There was a nasty treble noise.)

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:48 pm 

I have an electro-harmonix "big muff" pedal, but I only use it for bass sometimes. It doesn't have enough crunch for guitar. Currently I use this cheapo rocktek distortion pedal for guitar.

How heavy can the distortion get on the Marshall Jackhammer pedal? If I get another distortion pedal, it needs to be one that can go from somewhat mild to very distorted and heavy.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:33 pm 

well personally, I like "The Rat" This thing is crazy, I've made some really cool tones with this thing, plus its built like a tank! You might want to try this one out, but I also know the marshall pedals are good. Sound a lot like the amps OD. again, thats "The Rat"

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:10 pm 

Ryan, I use two outboard distortion/OD units:

1. Dallas-Arbiter Fuzzface: (not what you need, based on your words)

2. Tech 21 Double Drive: this pedal is so good that after I used it at ONE rehearsal, my bandmate/co-guitarist went straight out and got one for himself. It does whatever I ask of it.

Still, I've yet to try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive...

Best of luck.

Noel

Board index » Just Guitars