Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Looking for a pair of 12K Toasters in the UK
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:54 pm 

A couple of threads got me thinking... I've got a Hi-Gain pickup 360 with the pickups reversed (an improvement in balance over the standard setup, to me, but possibly still a bit modern-sounding) and I've tried a 7K Toaster (which I found too thin-sounding), but I haven't heard the 12K Toasters... which might be the best of both worlds.

Anyone in the UK have a pair they want to sell?

Post subject: Re: Looking for a pair of 12K Toasters in the UK
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:07 pm 

I think that you'd find them almost identical in sound to hi-gains. I have a 340 loaded with hi-gains & a 340 loaded with the hotter toasters. You can hardly distinguish the difference when played side by side.
Might be better to go for some slightly less powered toasters....say in the 8'5-10 range

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 am 

The 12k pups sound very wicked when overdriven, my mapleglo 1997 350V63 through a Boss OD-1 into a clean set Fender Prosonic amp gets a very fat but articulate sound, very Malcolm Young, from AC-DC. I will soon get another 350V63, a 2004 in Montezuma Brown, it has the 7.4k pups and it will be interesting to compare them side by side.

Meanwhile my fireglo 660/6 with 7.4k pups is also ballsy sounding when overdriven but with more 'single coil' overtones and is slightly cleaner.

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:27 am 

Angel- I had the hotter toasters on my Rick-12's. I haven't touched the McGuinn. I decided stock was best there and didn't want to destroy the possible value. I unwound the toasters on the 370-12SP and the 360-12V64 to about 7.5k ohms. Quite a difference! Less power, of course, and somewhat less mid-range. You have the option of unwinding a set of toasters incrementally about .5K or 1K at a time until you get where you want to be. An alternative is to use the 7.4K toasters with a high quality compressor. I have recently acquired a Keeley (about $220 US) and it has a lovely transparent quality with true-bypass. I must admit I haven't experimented with it much, but the initial impression is still light and bright, but with a bit more meat in the middle. The Keeleys ( www.robertkeeley.com )are considered "audiophile quality", as all the components are carefully selected and matched to close tolerances. As well, they're hand-wired in the USA, a good match (IMHO) to Rickenbacker's high quality build standards. Good Luck! -Dr.Phil

Board index » Just Guitars