Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Which distortion unit for a RIC and a VOX?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:37 am 

Quote:
VOX has the Cooltron Series of effect pedals including Bulldog Distortion. If your music store has it, plug it in and give it a try.

I did and did not like it at all. It is an expensive tube pedal but it sounds harsher and less balanced than most of the cheaper transistor pedals to my ears.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:43 am 

Quote:
Tried out the Jackhammer today. I used a 650 Dakota into a New Vox AC30CC. The options are huge due to the 7 knobs. I liked the overdrive setting a lot. The Distortion setting reminded me of a Marshall I played a while back - this pedal actually can get pretty heavy sounds. It was odd to look down at the mild-mannered Vox putting out such a heavy distortion. Of all the distortion pedals I have tried (on the harder side), this one definately scores high for sound and flexibility. The contour and frequency controls were a bit confusing.

Very impressed with the Dakota as well. That guitar is built like a tank.

I agree but I would like to add that the pedal cannot only provide hard and heavy distorted sounds. You can also use it as a booster by turning the gain down and the volume up. The contour and frequency controls are confusing indeed but very effective once you have learned (or read in the manual) how they work. With the frequency control you set a center frequency. The contour control does the opposite of a parametric equalizer. If you turn it clockwise the frequencies you set with the frequency control are filtered (not amplified).

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:56 am 

I agree. I thought the overdrive settings were more up my alley anyway. The only problem with testing it out as a clean boost was that the store would not let me really turn up the amp. The manual was no where to be found. And with seven knobs and so many possibilities, one would need a decent amount of time to really get to "know" this pedal. I bet this pedal would be amazing when used in conjunction with a good EQ pedal.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:42 am 

I don't know what sound you're looking for distortion wise, however my cousin's band Interpol the guitar player Daniel used a Rickenbacker Model 330 Fireglo with a Rat Pedal for distortion in their first record "Turn on the Bright Lights"

I believe he used the same guitar and distortion to record Interpol Antics with too, but sadly the keyboard player owned the guitar and when he was replaced he took his Rickenbacker 330 with him.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:45 am 

Quote:
(...) with seven knobs and so many possibilities, one would need a decent amount of time to really get to "know" this pedal. (...)

Yes, indeed, I disliked the Jackhammer when I first tried it in the shop, only when I had the possibility to take it home I discorvered its possibilities.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 pm 

It would be interesting for different players on this site to submit samples of the sounds they are getting from various overdrive/distortion pedals that they own. Since the contributors to this forum are spread out internationally, it may help those players who are looking for OD/DIST pedals who cannot try out (1) hard to find current-production pedals and (2) vintage pedals not in production that may go up for sale on ebay. For example, I've never heard a Univox superfuzz, a Rat, a Vox bulldog, or a Chandler tube driver. The Univox I believe is no longer made, as is the Chandler. I don't know of any store that sells the Rat or has the Vox bulldog in stock. It would also give an idea of what the Jackhammer is capable of, given some time and patience.

Because many of us use similar guitars (Ric) and amps (Vox), there would theoretically be some sort of consistency from which to judge the differences in the various pedals. At least enough consistency to make it interesting.

The samples could be recorded using, say, an SM57 mic into a simple preamp, into the computer's sound card. A program like cakewalk could be used, however, if there is only going to be one track there may be sound recording software that came with the computer that might work. We could submit the samples to www.storeandserve.com

The files could probably be Wave or MP3

I'm glad Doctorno started this thread. I'm always into trying out new pedals.

Just an idea,
Brizilla

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:13 pm 

Turn your AC30 up to about eight. That's pretty much a perfect sound.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:49 pm 

Quote:
Turn your AC30 up to about eight. That's pretty much a perfect sound.

.....This one goes to eleven.....

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:46 pm 

Quote:
(...) Just an idea (...)

Yes, and a very good one, I think. This would be very interesting not only for distortion pedals but also for other effects and equipment. The only problem is, I haven´t got a SM57, but it would be a good reason to buy one ;-) ...

Board index » Just Guitars