Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: New Guitar
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:22 am 

Quote:
Lou350,

I'm glad that you are using yor little 350 and having a ball playing live with it!

Hey Eggman, that's me using the 350V63 at a gig last night, Lou has yet to purchase one...

Lou, I'll post answers to your questions when I get home from work.

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:51 am 

Kez,

Oops! Sorry for the mistake. Enjoy your Rickenbacker!

Eggman

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:41 am 

Eggman,
I know what you are talking about here in up
state NY Albany if you don't play a Tele or
Strat, or a 335 Gibson or a Les Paul then you
just are not in with the incrowd. Very few and
I mean very few play Rickenbacker or Gretsch.
I think that this is a major problem the players
just don't know how good a Rickenbacker guitar
is. The same can be said for Gretsch. I'm glad
that Mr Hall won't sell out to Fender and I hope
that he never does.Rickenbackers have a sound that
no other guitar has just listen to the Byrds. What
other guitar could give you that sound. Here is
something I was thinking about how do you get the
Byrds sound out of a six string Rick instead of a
12 string just going from your guitar to your amp.
Bottom line for me is this having a Rickenbacker
350V63 or a 360 and a Gretsch with a Vox AC-30TBX
you can't beat that setup. It worked for the Beatles
what more can I say.
Lou D

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:23 am 

Quote:
Kez, did you have the 350V63 setup before your show and what amp are you playing thru. To me the sound of a Rickenbacker thru a Vox AC-30TBX can't be beat! Now the 350 had the High Gain pickups was that the difference I don't know. On your 350V63 why did you pick Mapleglow and what strings do you use. The more that I think about it the Rick would be a better way to go.
Lou,

I set up the 350V63 myself, it needed to be restrung as it had the original set from 1997 still on, as I play fairly loud blues, funk and rock my strings of choice are Dean Markley 11-52. They seem to last longer and hold tune better than all others I have tried. I tightened the truss rods a little to take the extra strain and rejigged the intonation and string height.

I play through either a 1964 Fender Vibroverb, a modern Fender Prosonic or a 1963 Brownface Fender Princeton, I vary the amp to suit the gig. Last night I played the 350 through an old '70's Musicman combo it was pretty clapped out but the 350 sounded beautiful anyway, can't wait to use it with one of my own amps at a gig. Once had a Vox AC 30 or was it AC 60, back in the '70's but with all due respect it could not hold a candle to the '64 Vibroverb which I have owned since I was a kid, for clean or ballsy tones it is King, even for jangle and '60's pop the Vibroverb, since it comes from that time, excels, though I concede a Vox/Rickenbacker combo is the stuff of legends.

Ricks I have tried with Hi-Gains have not impressed me but for the kind of style you want to play they may suit you, but toasters are the original 'jangle' pickup not HG's. I originally wanted a second 660/6 in mapleglo, but could not find one for love or money, I then realized the closest in sound and feel would be the 350V63 so went for it when I saw it, there were and still are more for sale in Jetglo but I have become superstitious about buying black guitars as it seems every time I do somebody I know passes away, believe it or not. Mapleglo looks very cool here is a link to a pic of me using the 350V63 last night:

http://www.kezmusic.zoomshare.com/my_im ... z350v2.jpg

As you can see the Mapleglo has gone to a nice light honey colour with age and BTW the whole guitar looks way cool, in my opinion much cooler than a 360.

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:42 am 

http://www.kezmusic.zoomshare.com/my_images/kez350v2.jpg
Yo Kez -
BEAUTIFUL guitar, nice shot! Wish I coulda been there. Maybe sometime soon at Manitoba's?

Best, Tony

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:55 pm 

Quote:

http://www.kezmusic.zoomshare.com/my_images/kez350v2.jpg

Yo Kez -
BEAUTIFUL guitar, nice shot! Wish I coulda been there. Maybe sometime soon at Manitoba's?

Best, Tony

Thanks mate, my girl took the pic, and a bunch of others includiing a guy in the house band with a Frankenstein Rick 400? Bass, I'll post some links on the 'sightings, events, artists' forum.

Yes it IS a beautiful guitar and has the sounds to match! Usually I use a combination of Gibson's and Fender's but the 350v63 and of course my now jealous 660/6 can do it all!

As for Manitoba's it's definetly on my wish list...

Have a burger and brew for me!

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:21 pm 

Hi Kez,

Nice flame on your 660/6 RIC. You must have searched for a while to find that one. Very nice and unusual (some wild axes) overall collection.

MMM

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:56 pm 

Quote:
Hi Kez,

Nice flame on your 660/6 RIC. You must have searched for a while to find that one. Very nice and unusual (some wild axes) overall collection.

MMM

Ahh, you have cracked into my unfinished web-site!

Funnily enough the 660/6 hung in 'Jackson's Rare Guitars' here in Sydney for the last 3 years, no one wanted it!

I was going to buy a Gibson custom shop Les Paul Junior when I spied the 660/6 which I knew was there but had sort of overlooked like everyone else, Steve Jackson let me take both home to try, it was no contest the Junior went back the next day and I discovered the excellence and beauty of Rickenbackers.

As for my collection, I think I have been lucky enough to eventually own the guitars I've always wanted, get a few good bargains along the way and of course play those fantastic axes to the max!

You only live once as they say...

Cheers, Kez

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:40 am 

Hi Kez,

That 660/6 has better flame on it than most Tom Petty models I have seen. Its a real gem and 660s play so nicely. Good on ya!

Best,

MMM

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:11 am 

Kez,

I agree with you on Fender amps having an amazing clean sound. The guitar player in the band I play in owns a Vibro-King® Custom and a Marshall Blues Breaker combo.

The Vibro-King is stellar for cleaner tones. . . but I love the way my AC30CC combo with Celestion "Blue" speakers breaks-up when I crank it (especially when I put it on the lower 20 watt mode). It also sounds stellar when distorted with a nice fuzz pedal or an English Muffin OD.

Fender and Vox are Apples and Oranges.

Ted

Board index » Just Guitars