Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 450LH
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:48 am 

In the very early 70's, RIC made me a left-handed 450, strung right-handed. I played it for a few years, loving the slick action, thin fast neck, narrow fingerboard and Brit sound. I had no complaints until the cheap pot-metal non-adjustable bridge finally reamed out so much on the E and B strings that it couldn't be adjusted out. I was never able to get a replacement as the model had been discontinued and a tune-o-matic was too wide-waled for the string spacing. As the body is routed and covered with a pickguard, mounting a flat bridge assembly was not an option. This once best-friend and partner has been relegated to its case for the past nearly 20 years as I was unable to engineer a satisfactory solution. Anybody have a useable idea? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 450LH
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're looking for a 00869 bridge assembly. We don't keep these in stock all the time but do bring some through from time to time. Check with our customer service department for current availability and price.

Sigh. It's not made of "pot metal" (which is metal powder pressed together in a mold with a binder and then sintered). This is a precision die cast aluminum part since the late 60's. The earlier ones before that were investment cast from aluminum, probably not as strong and certainly not as smooth.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:19 am 

"Pot-metal" - The phrase that pays! :-P

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
"Pot-metal" - The phrase that pays!
It's also one that really annoys me because there isn't nor ever has been any kind of pot metal on our guitars. In fact, it shouldn't have a place on ANY guitar as it's only useful for key chains, tourist trinkets, and the like. Okay, maybe in some simple mechanisms like a lock.

Die cast parts are a completely different beast, infinitely stronger, as well as costly to produce.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:04 am 

Sincere apologies for the "pot-metal" remark. I'm more than aware of RIC quality, also owning a '67 360-12. The bridge didn't hold up on the 450LH and frustration over the years of not having the guitar to play generated my unfair remark. Perhaps the light-guage strings and hard playing resulted in the degradation but the result was the same. Thanks for your response - I'll keep checking back.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Like I said, you'll need to check with service if you're serious about replacing this- it'll probably never be up on the regular boutique pages due to the infrequent demand, if that's what you meant by "checking back".

Board index » Just Guitars