Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Neck Profiles
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:34 am 

There is a Ric in my future, but I need to do more homework. I've tried several 360s, 330s, and a 620. In most cases, they aren't comfortable to me -- the fretboard feels narrow compared to the thickness of the neck (ie, the measurement from the fretboard to the back of the neck). The exception was the 620, which seemed to be a little thinner. I'm not sure I'm looking for a small neck, but there's something about the relative proportion that I'm looking for.
So, my question is: since the 660 has a wider neck, does it follow that the neck is also proportionally a little thicker? I wonder if I might find it more playable.
A related question: I'd like to try out a 350V63 at some point. Would the neck profile be the same as the 360s and 330s?

Post subject: Re: Neck Profiles
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:51 am 

Try a 650. It has a wider neck which is thinner than the necks of current 330, 360 and 620 models. In fact there a lot of different neck profiles around with all these models. The only thing that all Rickenbackers except for the 650 have in common is the narrow fretboard.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post subject: Re: Neck Profiles
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:15 pm 

The neck on my 660/6 is about the same thickness as my SG Custom, taper from heel to headstock is more gradual than the Gibson giving the 660/6 a fuller profile at the nut, which is also wider.

It is very comfortable to play and fits my medium sized hand perfectly. String spacing is excellent, plenty of room for lead playing.

Cheers, Kez

Board index » Just Guitars