Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: string gauge
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:48 pm 

I have a 360 and currently use 10's after talking to a guy that worked at the Ric factory who advised me to do so . He said that they were set up for 10's . I have been breaking strings at almost every practice , and although I do pick fairly hard , my guess is that a heavier gauge string would perhaps remedy the problem . I 'm worried that if I use a heavier string it might damage the neck . Then I hear that Peter Buck uses 13's ! If i get it set-up for 11's or 12's , do I need to worry ? Also , any suggestions on which brand of strings sound good with Rics . I've heard alot about these Polyhedron strings . Is there any big difference ? Dont most of these strings get made at the same factories ?

Post subject: Re: string gauge
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:41 pm 

You can use 11s, 12s no problem. I've used them on my 330 and I settled for 11s. You may have to make a slight adjustment to the setup.

I use Pyramids flats and rounds. Flats on my 370/RM12 and rounds on my 6 string. The Pyramids seem to last a long time before a change out. Some people might say that they're a bit stiff, and I think they are compared to other brands, but my hands are pretty strong so I don't have a problem with them.

Pyramids are made in Germany, btw.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:03 pm 

If you're breaking strings at that rate it most likely has little to do with the string guage. Do they consistently break at either the bridge or tuner? You most likely have a burr on the hardware that's causing the problem.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:58 pm 

Quote:
If you're breaking strings at that rate it most likely has little to do with the string guage. Do they consistently break at either the bridge or tuner? You most likely have a burr on the hardware that's causing the problem.

Exactly - although such a hardware problem is unlikely on a Rickenbacker guitar. What are you using - extra heavy metal plectra ;-)?

I use the standard set of Rickenbacker strings on all my Rickenbacker guitars and I am very pleased with them.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:02 am 

It's unlikely at the bridge because of the aluminum saddles, but actually fairly common at the tuner and not unheard of at the tailpiece.

Board index » Just Guitars