Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Newbie
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:12 am 

emswife,
I will bare that in mind! Having said that I played a guitar that blew me away today, i had a free period so i went into my local shop and they had just got a signature les paul custom in, they are what epiphone elitists are called in the UK for some reason. It certainly played better than a les paul standard in my opinion, and £600 was very tempting as a rick alternative. It also showed how new it was because its serial was 00000014, i mean thats pretty damn new and would be something to brag about, but at the same time it doesnt have the rick prestige...
James

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:23 am 

It is very, very difficult to compare a Les Paul to a Rickenbacker. A Les Paul is something very different. Personally I hate these guitars, I would never play a Les Paul. If it has to be a Gibson, I´d prefer a SG (had two of those), I´d also prefer any Fender or Gretsch and of course any Rickenbacker. The Les Paul feels very uncomfortable to me and I do not like its sound either, except when played by Jimmy Page ;-) ...

By the way, I´d go for the 650 ... I just love this guitar :-) ...

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:07 am 

doctorno,
I know its a difficult comparison but this is a weighing up of every possible guitar i can afford kind of thing, since i wont be able to buy another expensive one until i am done being a student pretty much! I guess everyone has an opinion but i cant see how you dont like les pauls! yes they are a bit heavy, but thats my only complaint with them...fender are always good but i havent ever tried a gretsch.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 am 

Quote:
doctorno,
I know its a difficult comparison but this is a weighing up of every possible guitar i can afford kind of thing, since i wont be able to buy another expensive one until i am done being a student pretty much! I guess everyone has an opinion but i cant see how you dont like les pauls! yes they are a bit heavy, but thats my only complaint with them...fender are always good but i havent ever tried a gretsch.

It is just that I cannot believe that anyone likes a Les Paul and a Rickenbacker at the same time - maybe others here will prove me wrong, but this is my experience - it starts with the scale length that just does not fit, it also has something to do with the shape of the body. I always feel that my right arm rests uncomfortably on the guitar when I play a Les Paul. As for the sound - I cannot describe my thoughts about this topic in English unfortunately, the Les Paul just does not sound right. If you like it, compare it to a SG and then compare both to a 650 or any other Rickenbacker.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:53 am 

hmmm well everyone has a different preference for the body shape, i learned on a dreadnought when i was truth be told too small for it so everything seems tiny by comparison! I like the es-355 type shape the most comfort wise but itas not really my music style. What guitars do you have at the moment?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:08 am 

I have got a Rickenbacker 325V59, a 620 and a 650A, I also have a Gibson I (SG shape) but am planning to sell it. I had another SG and two Ibanez Artists (one semi-hollow and one solid-body) in the past. What do you mean by "I like the ES-355 type shape the most comfort wise but it is not really my music style"? If you know how to play it, you will be able to play a lot of different styles using an ES-type. The Gibson (or Epiphone) ES certainly is a good guitar. (If you ask me it is a much better guitar than a Les Paul - but this is my personal point of view, again.)

But then again: you seem to be interested in Rickenbacker guitars, so I can only repeat my advice: go for the 650. It is a very good, very versatile guitar. And if you like the feel and comfort of a semi-hollow guitar, try a 330 or 360.

Board index » Just Guitars