Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Rickenbacker Newbie
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:42 am 

Hey there, as a soon to be poor student with a few years guitar playing under my belt the time has come to put down my trusty Squier Strat Standard, and actually get a MAN's guitar. After much deliberation I have decided the way to go is with a rickenbacker after playing on a 650s in a shop and my guitar teachers 330, but which one to go for? I Have just shy of a thousand pounds saved up for this special moment, I like to play blues when practicing although the band tends to play more general mellow rock, think along the lines of -sigh- nickelback, although we have a few heavier numbers...I have a fender stage 1000, a pretty decent amp. Any help will be most appreciated because this guitar is going to have to last me through university!

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Newbie
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:50 am 

I have both a 650A and 360 with hi-gains (and 381v69...and 360/12v64) and almost always reach for the 360. This is mostly due to the pickups; the humbuckers on the 650 have their place but most of time I want the cleaner and more defined tone from the single coils.

Since you have access to both the 650 and the 330 it seems you should be able to evaluate both and choose which one suits you best.

If you still aren't sure...flip a coin. Seriously. Your immediate reaction (satisfaction or disappointment) will tell you what you *really* want.

LMoE

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:11 am 

In an ideal world i would get both of course ;-) I think i will need more playing time, although they will probably be sick of the sight of me by the time i've decided in the music shop...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:53 am 

The 330 is totaly classic Rickenbacker, in looks, feel & sound....you just can't go wrong with a 330. Capable of both retro & contemporary sounds, it is suprisingly versatile...I love 330's & I think you will too!

BTW, whereabouts in Somerset are you? I have a studio in Ilminster with about 18ish Rics (no 650's.....YET).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:29 am 

Weston Super Mare, oddly enough i was in the local music shop today seeing how much they are to order in, but i will have to make do with the soundcontrol in bristol for ricks. There was an unusual les paul copy by signature which i rather liked, but for the price i couldnt help but think it would be better to spend a bit more and get a ricenbacker! well that or an SG, I'm not sure again...they had a standard one in and it was just beautiful. How do you mean 18ish? and any chance of selling one? worth a try :) ALSO whereabouts is illminster? I really should know but ah well

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:35 am 

Squashem,

Play every Rickenbacker you can get your hands on; it's the only way to find out what you really like. Have you "test-driven" the 620?
FWIW, it took 15 years of playing the 330 to discover that the 360 was my favorite Rickenbacker 6-string! I adore my 620-12 and regard it as the best sounding 12 string I've ever played. Enjoy the journey.

Eggman

PS: The 330 IS the best looking model Rickenbacker makes, but the 360 FEELS and sounds a little better for me.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:14 am 

Eggman,

If only i had the chance to play as many as i wanted, the only rick within reasonable distance that i havent played is the 12 string 330, so I'm kind of stuck with 330's and 650's, and i dont want to buy one without trying it off the internet. I havent tried the 620, I'm doing some research at the moment trying to find rick stockists within some sort of vague area around where i live, but the only ones I've found that anyone stocks are 330's and 650's... I'd love a twelve string rick sooner or later, but this is gong to be my first "proper" guitar, so a regular 6 string is in order, since i wont be able to afford another for the best part of a 5 years in all likelihood, what with me going to university (hopefully to do physics with music even though you didnt ask) so i will have to spend my money on trivial items such as food and drink...

regards,
Squashem

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:29 am 

Squashem,

If you can make a journey to London, pay a visit to Denmark Street. In a rather short amout of space there are quite a number of guitar shops and I saw good supply of Rics there towards the end of August. It is worth checking out as many as you can. I like the 330s and am the proud owner of a 360/12. I am hoping to acquire a 330 soon. I think you are wise to purchase a quality guitar and the Ric definitely fills the bill.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:20 am 

Just be prepared to never go back to a lesser expensive guitar... once you play a Ric, you will never be satisfied with "kid's" guitars again.

The only thing I have played that even comes close to waht I expect is a Guild Starfire III with Bigsby... and twice I haven't been able to afford it...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:06 am 

lvbluesboy,
If only i could! I am going to oxford in a few weeks for some uni stuff so i will have a look round there, i seem to remember there being some good music shops...
squashem

Board index » Just Guitars