Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 330 - 360 questions
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:42 pm 

Hello,

I'm going to buy my first Rick guitar and being between 330/6 and 360/6 I've got some questions..

1)330 has no "neck-binding", 360 does. What's neck-binding? Is it something of importance?

2)330 has no stereo output, 360 does. Is stereo output something really useful for a player?

Basically, I find 330 having a much more killer look than 360, and will cost me 300 euros less. (from www.thomann.de). What's your advice?

3)Is the 340&370's third pickup a useful addition? I don't play metal, or other really heavy stuff...

Thanks in advance,
Sorry for my awful english

Dimitris

Post subject: Re: 330 - 360 questions
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:03 pm 

In effect a 360 is a deluxe version of a 330. Thats the way I've always looked at it anyway. Soundwise I've used 330's and 360's. I don't think there is an awful lot between them though I did prefer the 330. Just a personal thing.

I think you may be better off going to the shop and trying them both out using an amp that is as close to the one that you will use with it. The same if possible. This should help to make your mind up.

As for the ric o sound stereo that is pure personal taste again,rigging the guitar up to 2 amps. Stereo chorus and delays can be very effective. But lugging a couple of amps to gigs can become a bit of a pain!! Some amps such as the vox valvetronix series give you stereo output anyway which helps save on the amount of amps to use. This though would make your ric o sound more or less redundant. As said all in all an issue that only you can answer as it's your sound.

An additional 3rd pickup (340/370) will give you slightly more tone to play with.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:03 am 

A lot of folks find the third pickup to be a hinderance when playing.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:31 am 

Binding is a strip of plastic around the edge. It's purposes are to hide a seam, give a more defined look to the shape and somewhat protect the edge (plastic absorbs shocks without damage better than wood). The downside to binding is that it tends to crack with drastic temperature changes (it expands and contracts at a vastly different rate than the wood and the fret metal) and removes resonant wood to be replaced with inert plastic. Not a huge deal in a single-bound Ric 360, but if you add up all the plastic on a Les Paul Custom it comes to 27.4 cubic inches of wood removed!

The 330 has a larger profile (more wood) and sound chamber than the 360 due to the 360's rounded sides. It'll make a noticeable difference when played without an amp, but will be less apparent when plugged-in.

The third pickup is a matter of preference. It does sound different in the middle position, but doesn't add extra variations with standard wiring.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:23 pm 

Thanks for the answers :)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:06 pm 

Is it possable to even buy a new 340/6, the rick-o sound would be cool to?

Board index » Just Guitars