Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: New 330 owner...just a few questions
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:26 am 

I bought a 330 the other day in jetglo. Very cool guitar. Just a few questions. Do all the 330's come with the black button pickups? What is the difference between these and the toaster pickups? New, not old.

Also, besides a vox, what would be a good amp for a Rick? Would a tweed deluxe be any good?

I'm looking for something that is cathode biased and around 20 watts give or take a little. 1X12, 2x10, or 2x12 combo would work.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New 330 owner...just a few questions
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:57 am 

MikeBossy,

A Tweed Deluxe? Are you kidding? I'll bet that would be a lively Guitar/amp combo. As for speaker configurations, that's all subjective. I'd prefer 2-10's with AlNiCo magnets for that smoooth overdrive and chimey clean ring.

The stock p/u's are the standard "Hi-Gains" and are a good all 'round p/u for just about anything.Toasters are available as an after-market add on. They have that knock-out vintage look, but many prefer them for 12-strings as they are trebly and can be a bit brittle souding for a 6-string, IMHO. But hey, all my favorite rockers from the 60's did just FINE with toasters!
Play your new guitar. Get to know it, THEN experiment with toasters if you like. I prefer the stock "Hi-Gains" for a 6-string, FWIW. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Eggman

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:53 am 

Bogner Metropolis.

Stunning amp. A bit pricey...

Come a bit closer to Earth and try a Traynor (though I don't know offhand if it's cathode-biased or otherwise).

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:41 pm 

Are you sure a Vox won't work? Vox appears to be on the verge of announcing a new AC15 amp. Single 12, cathode biased, etc. It was apparantly shown in Germany at a trade show, but the official announcement has not yet been made.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:43 am 

A vox would work, but I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions. I'm looking to spend less than $1000. I forgot to add that.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:26 am 

Quote:
A vox would work, but I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions. I'm looking to spend less than $1000. I forgot to add that.

The VOX AC30CC1 won´t cost you more. But there are a lot of other choices. There are good amps by Fender, Marshall, Hughes and Kettner. It depends on your musical tastes.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 am 

I too am a new 330 Jetglo owner. Have no complaints playing mine thru my Fender DRRI! Took the stock speaker out and replaced in with a Hellatone 30 from Avatar which is a broken in Celestion G12H30. Great combination.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:01 am 

you know, its the player that makes the sound, Rics sounds good through whatever with just a little tweakin, i understand not wanting to spend tons on a vintage all tube, I run it through a marshall avt100, OD1 with just a little fuzz, sounds great I think, haven't heard any complaints.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:52 am 

What's up everybody?? I agree with whoever said it's the player not the gear. However, the gear does help to give some extra flavor in my opinion.

I play my 330 through one of two amps, either a Fender Deluxe or a 1965 Fender Twin Reverb. The deluxe gives me a sparkly, snappy, tone that I really can't quite get from the old twin. The twin warms it up considerably a gives me a much deeper tone. I think the reissues are a little more crisp than the old ones. The circuitry is more modern of course and that seems to affect the tone.

I like the tone from both, but they are both very different. You can get a used Deluxe for under $500 all day every day. That's not a bunch of bread for a pretty cool tone. But only if you like that type of combo. If the sound you really want is the Ric/Vox combo, I'm affraid only the Vox will get you there in my opinion. The amp has a big effect on your tone. No doubt.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:18 am 

I use a '79 Peavey VT 212 solid state pre-amp and tube amp... sounds like it was made yesterday!

Board index » Just Guitars