Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 325 Club
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:55 am 

Quote:

Remember The Shawdows in Britain played Fender.

McCartney even has admited his first bass of choice was a Fender bass, but the pricing was way out of his league at that pre-fame time.

George Harrison badly wanted a Fender Strat, but settled on a Futurama simply because of price considerations.

Lennon lucked out and found his 325 in Hamburg at a decent price where the German music dealer had it inventoried for nearly two years!

I've read Hank Marvin had the first strat imported into the U.K.

McCartney didn't want a Fender because he knew a lefty wasn't available, and didn't want to do a Hendrix. I've never read, otherwise, him say that he wanted one, only that he didn't want a righty one.

Harrison lost out on a strat in Germany. Lennon said his Rick cost him a ton, though he noted it was a ton to him as he didn't have a lot of dough at the time.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:11 am 

Harrison also remembered Lennon as paying for his first Ric on "in-house" installment payments with the Hamburg music dealer in question.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 am 

Lennon certainly brought my attention to the 325 model, but I do think, the Beatles association aside, that it is a beautiful and well-proportioned guitar. Not to mention a blast to play!

My '06 1996 is the most beautiful (and resonant!) guitar I've ever laid my hands on. I hardly ever pick up my 330 anymore. Rickenbacker really hit a home run with this one - thanks again, Rickenbacker! Definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:26 am 

I recently acquired a C58 mapleglow, after having been without a Ric for awhile. And, I'll admit, that while I know about the guitar from Lennon, and I like a lot of the sounds he got out of it, I play it because I love the short scale, as much as anything else.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:32 am 

Just heard that my second 325 has arrived: a 325C64. My parents, who are living in Massachusetts, have picked it up for me at the dealer, where I ordered it one year ago. I think I cannot complain: it has only been one year, since I ordered it.

I am visiting my parents in the USA in summer - then I will hold my new RIC in my hands! As soon as this happens I will tell you about my impressions and compare it to my 325V59 ...

I am so happy. Now I have got two 325s and two 650s ... pure luxury ... what more could I ever want ...

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 am 

I have also read that the Beatles, at least initially, deliberately avoided Fender guitars as they were so closely associated with Hank Marvin and The Shadows who had been the pre-eminent group in the UK before them.

So, it certainly makes sense that bands following The Beatles would deliberately avoid Rics!

I certainly never saw much in the way of quality US-made instruments in places like Rushworth & Drapers and Frank Hessey's in the Liverpool music stores of the 60s. And few of the local bands could afford them either. You were much more likely to see guitars like Watkins Rapiers and Hofner Clubs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:34 am 

The Beatles certainly paid their dues with brands like that.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:11 am 

Well, the Beatles used Fender guitars on their recordings very often.

And although I love the RIC 325 more than any other guitar, I would sincerely like to be able to get a guitar sound like the one that Hank Marvin had in the 60s. This tone is just awesome. I know about the equipment he has used (Fender Strat and VOX AC 30 with tape echo), but I am not able to get anywhere near his sound - even if I use the same equipment.

The Beatles are far superior to The Shadows concerning the music they have composed and recorded, but The Shadows had the superior guitar sound in my opinion - even though they did not use RICs, but Fender guitars and later on Burns guitars.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:37 am 

Quote:
Just heard that my second 325 has arrived: a 325C64.

I am so happy. Now I have got two 325s ... "

Doc CONGRATS!!!

You're just going to love your new 325C64.
I'm still in awe of mine. :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:11 am 

Doc...I'll be looking forward to your comparison of the two 325's. Knowing how you prefer the 12K toasters, I have a feeling you'll still lean towards your present 325.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Board index » Just Guitars