Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 325 Club
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:31 am 

JohnnyZ, imagine you would have a full scale guitar with 24 frets and a set of 12-54 strings tuned down three semitones. If you would play this guitar with a capo at the third fret it would almost feel and sound like a normal 21 fret guitar tuned to E/A/d/g/b/e´ - only the frets would be a little closer together and you would get a slightly different tone - like on the 325.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:55 am 

Nice 320, Pinto. I was gonna ask the same question as two of mine are 320s.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:29 pm 

Quote:
JohnnyZ, imagine you would have a full scale guitar with 24 frets and a set of 12-54 strings tuned down three semitones. If you would play this guitar with a capo at the third fret it would almost feel and sound like a normal 21 fret guitar tuned to E/A/d/g/b/e´ - only the frets would be a little closer together and you would get a slightly different tone - like on the 325.

Thanks doctorno. It makes a lot of sense now...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:58 pm 

Quote:
Nice 320, Pinto. I was gonna ask the same question as two of mine are 320s.

Thanks studiotwo! I just put D'Addario Chrome flats on it and OMG! It is like playing a piece of fine silk!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:58 pm 

The best thing about a short scale guitar is that your reach is greater.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:54 am 

I'm the proud owner of a 325 V59 (black w/gold pickguard) since 1985 & it's been an amazing little guitar. When my friends first see it, they are completely amazed by the short neck. I've got small hands, so it's been the perfect model for me.
Thank you John Winston for introducing this model to the world!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:24 am 

Quote:
Thank you John Winston for introducing this model to the world!

Wasn´t it a company named Rickenbacker that introduced this model to the world? And wasn´t it a certain Belgian jazz guitarist who made it popular before John Lennon discovered it?

There is one thing that I constantly ask myself: is the 325 as popular as it is because of John Lennon, or would it be far more popular if it had bot been played by him? Maybe the 325 would have been discovered by a virtuoso guitarist if John Lennon had not played it. I mean, who would have liked to be compared to John Lennon? Once John Lennon had played this guitar - wasn´t it lost for a career like the one, that the Stratocaster has had? Just a thought.

The only thing that annoys me about the 325 is the "Ha ha, look at him, he is trying to copy John Lennon"-effect. I do not like this guitar because John Lennon has played it, I love this guitar despite the fact that it is always associated with him.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:34 am 

When was the 325 re-introduced? '84? If so, did it have hi-gains or toasters?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 am 

I always thought the 325 was close to extinction until it was revived by the Beatles popularity. Probably Mr. H can shed some light here.

BTW: Looks like a bunch of 325C64's just shipped - maybe the 325 club is about to get bigger.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:40 pm 

Quote:
There is one thing that I constantly ask myself: is the 325 as popular as it is because of John Lennon, or would it be far more popular if it had bot been played by him? Maybe the 325 would have been discovered by a virtuoso guitarist if John Lennon had not played it. I mean, who would have liked to be compared to John Lennon? Once John Lennon had played this guitar - wasn´t it lost for a career like the one, that the Stratocaster has had? Just a thought.

That's an interesting point of discussion doctorno. There may be some truth that others may have chose a different guitar in the attempt to not be accused of copying Lennon. Of course, the answer will remain in the discussion phase with no firm answer.

I decided to get mine because of John Lennon. I enter a phase of rediscovering the Beatles and thought the addition of a "Lennon guitar" to my collection would be nice. After researching one Saturday morning, I decided upon a 325C64. After receiving it, I quickly found out how nice, and suprisingly versitile that guitar is. The adjustment to the short scale wasn't the problem that many initially fear. It gets played considerably more than any other guitar I own. So even though I got mine because John Lennon played one, I think there may be some validity to your suggestion that it could have been even more popular if John chose a different guitar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Board index » Just Guitars