Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Toaster pick ups for a 620
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:45 am 

I have an early 90's 620 with the stock pickups. I want to change to the toaster style pick ups in the bridge for a brighter more full sound. Are the pick ups in the boutique for the neck or the bridge?

Post subject: Re: Toaster pick ups for a 620
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:53 am 

The toaster pickups and humbuckers are the same for bridge and neck positions. A special neck and bridge version exists for the standard hi-gain-pickups only.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:26 am 

If you change your hi-gains to the 7.4 toasters, then you might get a brighter sound, but it certainly wont be fuller! The older toasters (pre '99) were higher in output & were warm & full. I would urge you to try some 7.4's before you change. Hi-gains are superb pickups, capable of '60's type sounds, but also contemporary sound as well.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:31 pm 

From the experience I had with changing pickups on my 620 I would also recommend you to stay with the hi-gains. On the other hand you will not (and should not) believe me until you have tried it yourself ;-).

@TonyCarey: is there really such a big difference between current and pre99-toasters? And why? (I am afraid I do not know what 7.4 means in this context.)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:14 pm 

7.4 refers to the resistance of the pickup, put simply, the output....or power. The pre '99 toasters were hotter in output, some considerably more. Everybody feels differently about sound, but the most manifest difference is in the bass response & 'roundness' of tone. The more powerful toasters have IMO, the perfect balance of power, tone & of course, looks. The 7.4's are a little 'scratchy' to my ears, particularly in the bridge position & don't take overdrive all that well. I know loads of people will say 'my 7.4's sound great with overdrive!', but compare it to a hi-gain or hotter toasters & I am sure that they will be able to hear that the other pickups break up less & have a fuller sound. BTW, I play predominantly rock, so have tried every pick up available & the hi-gains or the very hot toasters are the boys for the job. I still feel however, that the roundness of tone afforded by the hotter toasters (or hi-gains) is beneficial to most musical styles (even '60's).

Where 7.4's do come into their own is in the neck & middle position of a three pickup 21 fret neck gtr. I must admit, that in these positions you can get a lovely single coil tone that is very useful (with a hi-gain or hotter toaster in the bridge). The spacing on a 24 fret neck does not suit the 7.4's IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:30 am 

Thank you, TonyCarey, this might be part of the explanation why the toasters on my "old" 325V59 sound so different compared to the new toaster pickup I tried out with my 620.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

7.4K, that is 7,400 ohms. A rusty paper clip might measure 7.4 ohms. A pickup with this reading would be, uh, toast, not a toaster.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:43 am 

Quote:
7.4K, that is 7,400 ohms. A rusty paper clip might measure 7.4 ohms. A pickup with this reading would be, uh, toast, not a toaster.
My RUSTY #2 (paper clip) measures out @ .6 ohms @ 77 degrees F . . . HAVEN'T tried my toast yet . . .

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:46 am 

Sorry John....I forgot the 'k'! My explanation was not as complete as it should have been.....

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:15 am 

Hello All!- I'm new to this group but not new to Rickenbackers. I bought my first 360-12 (7/66) back in '73. I currently own 3 360-12's - an FG V64, an MG McGuinn, and an JG "SP" (leftover McGuinn, no compressor). I have converted 2 of them to the 7.4K ohm configuration and am quite happy with the results. They sounded much more "mid-rangy" before I unwound them. I have just bought a Keeley Compressor (it arrives tomorrow) and would like to hear opinions from anyone who has used one with their Rick 12. Some of you from the old Vox board may remember me as East Coast Phil (Cusimano). -Dr.Phil p.s.: I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV!

Board index » Just Guitars