Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Model Recomendation?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:09 am 

Ok, so i have a very unique taste in music, i listen to a little of everything, but the music i play is quite experimental, yet eclectic, its somewhere between indie folk, pink floyd, david bowie, 70's-80's punk (ie bauhaus, bad brains) and other bands of 90s such At the Drive-In, Mars Volta, Q and not U, and Minus the Bear.

I was curious as to how and what models react to distortion and heavier playing as well as having awesome sustain and nice cleans. I was looking at the 620's, 650's, and 660's, right now im leaning toward the 650 Sierra.

also, what diffirences are there between the highgain pick ups and the humbuckers?

any advise would be awesome. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Model Recomendation?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:31 am 

The difference between the humbuckers and the hi-gains is that of a humbucker compared to a single-coil. The 650 might well be exactly the guitar you need.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should you prefer a 620 model they can be ordered with humbuckers.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:49 am 

I didn't know that, I'm still a youngin' I guess, I think I forsee a 620 for a certain 75th b-day, if special circumstances permit!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:21 am 

Quote:
Should you prefer a 620 model they can be ordered with humbuckers.

In that case, what would the advantages of a 620 be? they seem to be more commonly purchesed than the 650, or maybe thats just my imagination, aside from the wood and 1/4 pound difference in wait, i dont really see what the advantage of the 620 would be, does the maple vs. walnut wood really make a big difference? how about the rosewood fretboard?

oh, and i dont know if this would change anyones oppinion on which model i should lean towards, but i thaught i would include it anyway: i play out of an ampeg reverbrocket half stack, thats actually part of the reason im getting a new guitar, i went out and spent all that money on this new amp, braught it home, plugged my POS Ibanez AX guitar into and realized for the first time that my guitar was crap, later that week my friend came over with his 1960something 1500 dollar Fender Jaguar and plugged into my amp...

it was then that i realized what a guitar was SUPPOSE to sound like.

quality equitment is a wonderful thing.. that im not use to. So i figured id go all out and get one of the guitars id ben drooling over in magazines since i first started playing, a Ric!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The huge difference between the 620 and 650 is width of the fretboard. The 650 has a wider fretboard that may be easier to play for you. The 620's fretboard is finished with lacquer, the 650's is not. Also, the 620 has body binding so the shape is a little different. The 650 has smoother contours.

Bottom line: the main differences are the fretboards and the cosmetics. They both have tremendous sustain...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:35 am 

Quote:
The huge difference between the 620 and 650 is width of the fretboard. The 650 has a wider fretboard that may be easier to play for you. The 620's fretboard is finished with lacquer, the 650's is not. Also, the 620 has body binding so the shape is a little different. The 650 has smoother contours.

Bottom line: the main differences are the fretboards and the cosmetics. They both have tremendous sustain...

The 650 has 24 frets while the 620 has only 21. I have got them both and would recommend the 650, because it is more convenient to play. What is more: even if the 620 is equipped with humbuckers (I have tried that) - the 650 sounds a little fuller and warmer - at least that´s my impression. On the other hand I agree that both have tremendous sustain and I think the 620 looks even better than the 650.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Board index » Just Guitars