Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 320B Question
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:52 am 

Recently I purchased a left handed 320B off of ebay. I read that this was one of the first reissue Rics back in 1982. I was wondering why the 320B is different from John Lennon's first Ric which of course was a 325 which only had a single tier pickguard instead of the two tier pickguard on the 320B? The other obvious thing of course was the fact Lennon's Ric had a Bigsby vibrato on it while the 320B had an R tailpiece. I was just wondering why this was done. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 320B Question
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:17 am 

The B Series was the forerunner of the V series and the C. The B Series came with the R tail and wasn't totally considered a true replica. The V series 325 was closer because it came with the Accent Vibrato, and was two tier. The 325 C '58 which was true to Lennon's Hamburg was a single tier with a Kaufmann vibrato that Lennon switched to a Bigsby. The 325 C (when it comes out) is the exact replica of Lennon's second 325 given to him by RIC, and it came two tier with the Accent. Make sense?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The 325 C (when it comes out) is the exact replica of Lennon's second 325 given to him by RIC, and it came two tier with the Accent.
The 325C64 IS out. I saw some in assembly at the end of last week and some at the beginning of this week. Now all you have to do is wait for us to get down to the U.S. orders.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:55 am 

Howdy,

My first Rickenbacker was the 320B. Bought it in 1985 in Shreveport, La. Being a HUGE John Lennon fan I was so excited about this purchase during my college years.
I used it as "lead guitar" in a C&W group! While it was sinfully gorgeous, it proved too small and paradoxically-dificult to play, so I sold it. I regret THAT move!
IMHO the 320B is arguably Rickenbacker's most stunning guitar. It had an interesting tone as well. Those 3 "toasters" had a somewhat brittle tone. Sometimes it was tough balancing the treble with the guitars' knobs. Often I wound up with either too much treble or too little.
The bridge P/U alone yielded some wild tones-at high volume. I thik after 20 years with Rickenbacker 6-strings, I'm a "Hi-Gain man".

Eggman

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:31 pm 

Thanks buzzman, I had no idea there had been so many models involving this guitar. At the moment I'm trying to get a left handed B5 Bigsby for it. You can't imagine how rare those are. Fortunately Mike Parks at the Rickenbacker page is in the process of getting me one. I also took off the second tier pickguard. I want it as close as possible to the original. Only backwards!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:45 pm 

Art Wiggs of Wings Guitar Products, Inc. in San Jose (tel 408-225-2162) carries every Bigsby available.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:11 am 

Thanks for the info! I love this forum!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:12 am 

I can't believe the bomb JH dropped on this thread and that no one has started to make major comments about it elsewhere!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:58 pm 

I'm stunned....simply stunned.
This news is flashing over the 'net, on sites all over.
BIG NEWS.
But, how soon before US orders ship?
Weeks?
Months?
Can "we" expect US shipments by December?
Maybe a well timed and more than well deserved Christmas present for a certain person in a well known Trib group that's been waiting for one of these since pencil hit paper?
Please...just a tad more info.
Cheers,

Carlo

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'll be awhile before they hit the U.S.- you already know about where the first order came from and how the American dealers for the most part dragged their heels.

The real debut for these and something else will be at the Yokohama Music Fair in early November.

Board index » Just Guitars