Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Which distortion unit for a RIC and a VOX?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:22 pm 

For those of you who use a Rickenbacker in combination with a VOX AC30 I am very curious to learn which distortion, overdrive or booster unit you use, because I have not really found the one I am looking for, yet.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." (Elvis Costello)

Post subject: Re: Which distortion unit for a RIC and a VOX?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:17 am 

I use the AC15 TBX with my Rickenbacker and have gotten pretty decent sounds out of a Vox Valve-Tone pedal and a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 pedal. The Vox is no longer made, but can probably be found on Ebay.

Which pedals have you tried so far?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:18 am 

Quote:
Which pedals have you tried so far?

First of all I have used (and still use) my Hughes & Kettner Tubeman, which has an excellent distortion sound when it is used as a recording amp or plugged directly into the mixer of a P.A. system - but it sounds a little to aggressive with the AC30.

I have tried the VOX Cooltron pedals, several BOSS pedals (OD 2, Blues Driver, SD 1 etc.), an Ibanez Tubescreamer (which I never liked and do not like still) and the MXR distortion+. Of all these I liked the MXR best, but it had a nasty treble noise and sounded a little too compressed to my ears.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:23 am 

I never liked Boss distortion pedals, although I cannot pinpoint what it is about the sound. I also don't like the way Boss effects sound when they are off - they seem to take the edge off the sound.

The Vox valve-tone is a nice OD booster when used with the volume all the way up and the drive down around 2. Some people have likened it to a tube screamer, but I don't think they sound similar.

The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is great because it offers three types of distortion via a three-way switch - (1) comp cut (2) fm and (3) vintage. It is definately worth a hear. It also features both an on/off and a booster switch. And, it is true bypass.

Have you ever tried a Chandler Tube Driver? I've heard it is a great pedal.

My basic problem with distortion pedals vs. a real tube amp overdrive is that the higher notes sound thin.

If I were in the market for an OD pedal, I would ask myself these two questions:

First, if you could have an overdrive that perfectly simulated a tube amp overdriving, which tube amp would it be? For me, I love the overdrive of a Bogner with EL34's. It is smooth and not thin. Although my two pedals are fun, they do not compare to this. If there were a pedal that did compare, I would shell out a few hundred beans for it in a heartbeat.

Second, what is your favorite song that has an overdriven Ric in it?

Happy hunting!

Brizilla

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:10 am 

Quote:
(...)

If I were in the market for an OD pedal, I would ask myself these two questions:

First, if you could have an overdrive that perfectly simulated a tube amp overdriving, which tube amp would it be? For me, I love the overdrive of a Bogner with EL34's. It is smooth and not thin. Although my two pedals are fun, they do not compare to this. If there were a pedal that did compare, I would shell out a few hundred beans for it in a heartbeat.

Second, what is your favorite song that has an overdriven Ric in it?

(...)

First question: My favorite tube amp with overdrive would be a 50 Watts Marshall JCM800 head or a Marshall combo amp with a similar sound.

Second question: This is difficult. Most of my favorite guitarist who use a Rickenbacker do not use these guitars for heavy distortion or overdrive sounds. And none of these guitarist use the 650 mainly as I do. All I can say is that the overdrive sound of my 650 (as well as my 325V59 and my 620) in connection with the Hughes and Kettner Tubeman sent directly to the mixer is the best distorted guitar sound I have ever heard. I am searching for a solution to achieve that same sound with the AC30 (because the AC30s "clean" sound is highly superior to anything else, and it is better to have a combo amp on stage than just a recording amp).

I went to my local music store yesterday and borrowed some distortion pedals. And yes, I think I have got a solution now: the Marshall Jackhammer. It might be that there is only one solution that would work even better: using an A/B-switch to select between a VOC AC30 and a Marshall 50 Watts combo, but the Jackhammer seems to be the best distortion pedal I have tried so far.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:29 am 

It is too bad that the AC30's do not have a "power amp in" that you could try using the Hughes and Kettner as the sole preamp. I wonder if the new Custom Classics have that built in - they seem to have everything else.

I know what you mean about the JCM 800. I played a full stack JCM 800 at a studio and it was an amazing amp. Before I bought my current rig, I tried every Marshall combo out there trying to duplicate this sound. I never could. I tried an old JCM 800 112, a JCM 2000 212, the 601's, etc...

I'll have to try out the Jackhammer now, it sounds like a good pedal.

Brizilla

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:43 am 

Quote:
It is too bad that the AC30's do not have a "power amp in" that you could try using the Hughes and Kettner as the sole preamp. I wonder if the new Custom Classics have that built in - they seem to have everything else.

I know what you mean about the JCM 800. I played a full stack JCM 800 at a studio and it was an amazing amp. Before I bought my current rig, I tried every Marshall combo out there trying to duplicate this sound. I never could. I tried an old JCM 800 112, a JCM 2000 212, the 601's, etc...

I'll have to try out the Jackhammer now, it sounds like a good pedal.

Brizilla

I have got one of these new Custom Classics. They have an Effects Send and Return but no Power Amp In. I have not tried out whether the Effects Return works as a Power Amp In, but this would not be a solution anyway, because the Hughes & Kettner preamp has a superior distortion sound while the AC30s preamp has the far superior "clean" sound.

Brizilla, I am looking forward to read about your opinion on the Jackhammer :-) !

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:23 am 

Univox Superfuzz!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:45 am 

VOX has the Cooltron Series of effect pedals including Bulldog Distortion. If your music store has it, plug it in and give it a try.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:54 am 

Tried out the Jackhammer today. I used a 650 Dakota into a New Vox AC30CC. The options are huge due to the 7 knobs. I liked the overdrive setting a lot. The Distortion setting reminded me of a Marshall I played a while back - this pedal actually can get pretty heavy sounds. It was odd to look down at the mild-mannered Vox putting out such a heavy distortion. Of all the distortion pedals I have tried (on the harder side), this one definately scores high for sound and flexibility. The contour and frequency controls were a bit confusing.

Very impressed with the Dakota as well. That guitar is built like a tank.

Board index » Just Guitars